Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Sonicwall TZ470 & TZ570 2,5 / 5Gbps Connection

SliderhomeSliderhome Enthusiast ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Entry Level Firewalls

Has anyone successfully made a 2.5Gbps connection with a tz470 or a 2.5/5gbps connection with the TZ570?

10Gbps port connection is disabled as of firmware 7.0.0-R906 so no nbase-t sfp+ will connect on a firmware higer

10Gbps DAC cable will not work (there is no switch that can do 2.5/5gbps on a SFP+ interface directly, only 1/10Gbps.

Sonicwall says it will work.

Supported SonicWall and 3rd party SFP and SFP+ modules that can be used with SonicWall TZ series | SonicWall

After many hours with sonnicwall support still no luck (case number 43825314 and 43820508)

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• blublubblublub Newbie ✭

Hi

Yea multi-gig on the TZ470 and 570 is a major disappointment and IMHO a screw up on Sonicwalls side.

The SFP compatibility table list modules compativle with TZ470/570:

Supported SonicWall and 3rd party SFP and SFP+ modules that can be used with SonicWall TZ series | SonicWall

If you buy one of these SFP fiber modules, like I did, you are out of luck since nothing higher than 1Gb will work - and that only if you are lucky and your switch accepts the SFP modle and link.

Reason is that Sonicwall decided to drop support basically, shown here:

10G SFPs Support on TZ570 and below | SonicWall

But as I said, if you only look at the compatibility table you will buy the wrong SFP module.

So there is contradictionary information posted by Sonicwall. Technically I do not understand why its done the way it is, they could easily support a 10G link via SFP and limit the speed software-wise to 2.5 oder 5G - fore the sake of product segmentation.

I currently have custom made SFP modules from FS but at the moment those aren't working correctly either.... - If the compatibility table would have shown that only the 02-SSC-1874 is compatible I would have bought the TZ670....

• SliderhomeSliderhome Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited May 2022

@blublub

Thanx

It looks like Sonicwall disabled the 10gb port's on purpose because of the cheap 10gb option.

No 2.5 and 5 GB option is working and no support from Sonicwall, This is the first time I'm so dissapointed with Sonicwall.

I also would have bought the TZ670,

• HoraceHorace Newbie ✭

generic 10Gbps only SFP+ does work on firmware 7.0.0, but they try to force the 2.5Gbps interface speed on firmware 7.0.1 which returns error using ethtool (in linux terms). They still list some of the 10G only SFP+ as supported, but I don't think it will ever work if they cannot set speed to 2.5G.

edited May 2022

@Horace

Thanx,

I think the same as you, 10Gbps is disabled so NO SFP+ will work (at first it worked fine).

It's false advertising:: support Tz470 2.5Gbps and TZ570 2.5 &5Gbps connection is not true

Considering SFP + Fiber yes its is misleading.

Considering SFP / copper I'll get new modules to test soon

• NikudaNikuda Newbie ✭

I have the same problem.

I testet TP-Link 10G Base-T modules and it doesn´t work.

It´s a shame.

Is there a solution?

Yes - For the Sonicwall just buy a SW SFP Copper module and connect it to a native 2.5 or 5G port on a switch - that will work.

If u use an SFP module on the corresponding switch it will likely not work as the switch wont support a link of 2.5 or 5G over SFP - cisco in example only supports 1 or 10G, so even if both SFP modules would link fine at 2.5 or 5G over copper the cisco switch will "deny" the link and only work if everything will be set to 1G

@SonicWall, @Community Manager

SonicWall is not taking the LAW seriously (Changing specs, so people do not have the options they originally bought).

When buying a SonicWall tz470 & tz570 the first years the online compatibility list "SFP compatibility table list modules compatible with TZ470/570" to add support for higher than 1Gb/s did work, only later to be removed with a software update.

Now, SonicWall has in silence removed all compatibly information from the compatibility list for speeds higher than 1gb/s.

If now you look at the SonicWall tz470 & tz570 is looks like it have never had the upgrade option!.

How can a company change the main upgrade function and no one is taking responsibility for this robbery.

@Sonicwall Take your responsibility for making/selling false information when selling your routers and compensate customers for not delivering.