Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

can you add a shared network printer

MarcoMarco Newbie ✭

is it possible to add a shared network printer between 2 IP schemes. x0= 192.168.xx.xx and x2= 10.10.xx.xx on a non-wireless SOHO 250 and no Access Points ?

Category: Water Cooler

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Marco,

The document is not handy. But you can search for KB articles pertained to SonicWall products from our KB portal as below,

You can also bookmark the KB's as needed for future reference.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @MARCO,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

I believe the printer is of a wired type and if so, yes, we should be able to add the printer and share it between two IP subnets. You should add the printer on a subnet and allow access to it for the other subnet by allowing the access rules between the zones assigned to the IP subnets.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• MarcoMarco Newbie ✭

Is there a Doc available to download for future reference ?

• NiklioNiklio Newbie ✭

Epson Printers have the functionality to network your printer over ethernet. https://getintoprinters.com/best-epson-sublimation-printers/

• JCKJCK Newbie ✭

I'm trying to do the same: print from computers on subnet A (interface X0) to a printer on subnet B. Subnet B is managed by a separate router. Here's what I plan to do:

1. Assign interface X2 a static IP on subnet B and connect it to subnet B's LAN switch.
    2. Create an address object with printer's subnet B IP address.
    3. Create a rule Allowing From X0 to X2, Any Port or Service, Source LAN Subnets, Destination [Printer address object],

Does that sound correct?

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@JCK it will probably not work because neither the Subnet B Router or the Printer on Subnet B know how to find your client on Subnet A, except you configure Subnet B Router to find Subnet A via IP of X2. Hopefully this will not cause any issues because the Router only sees half of the traffic.

Other option would be to NAT X0 Subnet to X2 IP when Destination is X2 Subnet, this spares you the burden of Routing but the printer only sees a single IP which might be not what you want.

--Michael@BWC

• Hey @Marco,

Just curious if you ever got this configured the way you wanted and what approach you took. I'm working on the same thing right now.

Thanks!