Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Using OTP via mail with NetExtender

I went through the forums as best as I can but was able to locate an answer. I am pretty new to the Sonicwall environment so I am still educating myself on properly configuring it.

I need to setup 2FA for our VPN users. I managed to get TOTP to work but I want to try to use OTP via mail. I set this option but I cannot get it to work. Im uncertain if this is possible or not.

Im using a NSa 2650 device with 6.5.4.7 as the Firmware. Our users are using NetExtender and are being authenticated through LDAP.

Greatly appreciate the help anyone can provide.

Category: SSL VPN

Best Answer

Answers

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited January 2022

Hi @DoomRyGuy , as long as your email settings are entered correctly in Log/Automation it will work, test this working by going to the logs menu ( Investigate/event logs ), and select export to file and choose the email option to then send yourself the logs via email.

if you don't receive the email you have a setting incorrect under the log automation settings (Manage/Log Settings/Automation) or your exchange or mail server isn't allowing the connection

• DoomRyGuyDoomRyGuy Newbie ✭

Thank you Preston with the quick response. I will look into this. But so you know, I may stick with the TOTP option. I did also talk to another member of our group and he recommended to stick with the TOTP 2FA as it offers better security over the OTP with mail..

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Yes TOTP works better in my opinion. The last time I tried email OTP every little hickup in the connection caused a reconnection and another email being sent. So worst case you could get frequent requests to enter the code for disruptions you wouldn't otherwise notice necessarily.