Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Mesh both radios on SonicWAVE 231c?

Hi, Am I right that when we do a Mesh with SonicWAVE 231c we can have 2.4 radio available to stations or 5 GHz available to stations but I can't do both?

In the SonicOS7 GUI under Access Point Provisioning Profiles, SonicWAVE, Mesh Network, it appears on the choices we can only choose one or the other radio, but not both radios.

This can't be true because even cheap extenders can do both.

Any reply appreciated!

Cheers,

-Bob

Category: SonicWave
Tagged:

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

@LitBobOn even in the SonicWall Wireless Network Manager, you can only mesh one frequency band.

The "i" shows the following tip:

Supported models: SonicWave432o/432i/432e and SonicWave231c/224w/231o.

If Mesh Radio is enabled, the Bluetooth LE advertisement will be enabled in access points for mobile APP connect.

It is probably not what you - or anyone else - was expecting.

And I'm not even certain putting in a Request for Enhancement will change this anytime soon.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

I got a reply from SonicWALL with good news: Their mesh network uses one or the other radio but an AP in MP mode can actually allow stations to connect on either radio. I did a test of this and it worked: My mesh is 2.4 because I need more range but stations could connect at 5GHz. Of course the user of the connected station may see they are connected at 5GHz and wonder why the throughput is considerably less!

Answers

• LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

The only safe-for-work thing I can say is Good Grief!

I opened a ticket just to see what they say.