Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NPS and OS7 Radius test, what does "password authentication" field want?

Hi, I'm troubleshooting RADIUS for SonicWAVE with Windows NPS. So far the only way I can make the RADIUS server pass the SonicWALL test-feature is if 1) I only specify MSCHAPv2 in the NPS policy and 2) I only test MSCHAP and MSCHAPv2. I got those working (not with SonicWAVE AP, however, but one thing at a time)

Now, regarding the other "test" option on that page, Password authentication (Users, Settings, RADIUS-Configure, Test, Password Authentication), can someone tell me what values it is looking for? Does it want only the AD username, the name in CN/DN, username@domain.com? Nothing I've tried in this field works. Maybe this field is not for AD RADIUS? Any information appreciated!

Cheers

Category: SonicWave

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @ LitBobOn , do you have this enabled on the Network policy under Authentication Methods on NPS ?

Ideally you would only want to use MSCHAPv2 but for testing purposes enable the below and also check on the server under the Event Viewer as this should show why a failure occurred if nothing is showing under Event Viewer Custom Views/Severs Roles/Network Policy Server then configure the below in your GPO

Computer Configuration ->

Policies ->

Windows Settings ->

Security Settings ->

Advanced Audit Policy Configuration ->

Audit Policies ->

Logon/Logoff ->

Audit Network Policy Server.

Answers

• LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭

Preston, Thank you. I managed to get it working just before I logged off Friday, pretty much like you said, reading the event logs. Once I was sure it was working with just with the TZ Radius settings under users, I returned to the VAP config, created new profiles, and now my wireless with PEAP is working.

I marked this as the answer because I think it will help others who may also be experience issues with NPS (i.e. read the NPS logs in Event Viewer). However, I would still like to know the answer to the original question which is, what is the field "password authentication" checking against? This is found under Users, Settings, Radius config, Test.

On this page my tests against Radius NPS/AD work for MSCHAP and MSCHAPv2, but never works for the field "password authentication"., so I'm really wondering what it is for and I can find no documentation for this. Thought if we figured it out we could at least post the answer here for future reference.

Cheers