Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Youtube restricted mode

djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
edited May 2020 in High End Firewalls

The entire organization suddenly could not access any Youtube videos. Was getting the the restricted mode message although users had restricted mode turned off. Googling I discovered Sonicwall has a service to enforce restricted mode. My question is how did this get turned on? There are only two of us with access to the firewall and neither of us turned this on. Last firmware was applied a month ago.

I'm also curious how it was working once turned on. From reading the documentation, it does a re-write of certificates and we'd have needed to allow the new CA in the browsers. We didn't do anything of the sort. Our sonicwall also shows the default Sonicwall certificate which again we neither downloaded nor installed it in our browsers. Once I unchecked the Youtube restricted mode in the sonicwall, our users were able to use Youtube again immediately.

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• NevyadithaNevyaditha Moderator

Hi @djhurt1 ,

Youtube restricted mode setting is available only with CFS 4.0 (SonicOS 6.2.6.X and above). This setting will work along with Client DPI-SSL enabled on Sonicwall and it is not enabled by default on SonicWALL.

Can you please check if the Client DPI-SSL is enabled on sonicwall appliance.

KB below explains what settings need to be enabled to get Youtube restricted mode to work.

Please let us know what was the firmware you upgraded from and what is current OS running on the SonicWALL as well.

Thank You !!

Nevyaditha P

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

I'm including a couple screenshots. One of our current firmware version and the other of the DPI settings. As you can see it appears the DPI-SSL you mentioned is not enabled. However, youtube was giving the restricted message. Unchecking the youtube restricted mode box in sonicwall on the CFS immediately resolved the issue.

• NevyadithaNevyaditha Moderator

@djhurt1 .

The DPI-SSL engine itself seems to be disabled. Were all the clients on the network experiening this issue or just a few of them ?

Did you disable the Youtube restrict mode for the default CFS policy ?

Thanks

Nevyaditha P

All clients were affected. Started Last Friday. The log on the sonicwall shows none of these settings were changed until I made the change to un-check the youtube restricted mode. Per the attached image, I un-checked the Youtube restrict mode box and immediately all clients could watch youtube.

• Hello @djhurt1,

Is this firewall associated to GMS? The settings might have been pushed through GMS.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Enable management using GMS is not checked.

• Hello @djhurt1 ,
    What firmware are you on? On 6.5.4.5, you can see the audit records to see if any changes were made to the configuration.
    Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Per the image I posted above, current firmware is 6.5.4.5. Like I mentioned earlier, logs show only the changes we've made but nothing with the mentioned areas in this thread.

• This certainly needs more investigation. Please contact SonicWall Support using the link below.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/contact-support/

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu