Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How to add VLANs and portshield

djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

I'm baffled how to add a VLAN to a sonicwall switch via the firewall interface. If I go to network-->add network, it gives a default set of Vlan IDs. Native VLAN 1 and 502-511. I cannot specify a VLAN other than those. If I go through the switches interface it appears I can create any VLAN Id I need to match the VLAN I've already created on the firewall, in this case 10. What's the standard process for creating VLANs on the switch?

Also, I'm unfamiliar with portshield and how it relates to VLANs. Any decent documentation or can someone explain?

Category: Switches

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately after having several eyes look at these it appears these switches just don't do what we were told they could do by the vendor very easily. Management has chosen to keep with the simplicity of Dell managed switches and return the sonicwalls.

Answers

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

@Ajishlal

The options/settings mentioned in that guide don't exist on this switch.

The admin guide doesn't really give a good explanation of port shield from what I can find. Is there a document specific for port shield? I haven't been able to find anything yet.

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited August 2021

I've tried both ways(firewall UI and direct connect) to setup VLANs on this switch with no success. The only way I can get it to recognize a VLAN through firewall UI is if I portshield the port but then it shows up as Trunk with a default random VLAN ID(not one I've created) and I can't change it. It also will not let a single port be set as trunk unless it's port shielded. It forces link aggregation 2 or more ports otherwise. I still cannot find much more info. on portshield other than it's a virtual interface grouping ports. I'm going to reach out to support as a last attempt before boxing them up and sending back. I've never seen a switch so difficult to configure simple VLANs, tagging and trunk.