Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ400 with sw 6.5.4.8-89n

I recently updated to this version of software. I am noticing that some clients are having very frequent connection losses. Is anyone else having similar behavior with this FW?

Thanks

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @SHATY,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

I have my SonicWall running on 6.5.4.8 firmware version. I don't see any issues. Could you please explain your scenario in detail? What clients (LAN users or VPN clients) are you referring too?

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• itwarlorditwarlord Newbie ✭

yes!!! suddenly all my wired PCs have random packet loss...but the wifi via sonicpoint is flawless.

Hi @ITWARLORD,

Does it happen frequently? If so, could you please perform a packet capture on the SonicWall for pinging destination IP addresses as the firewall's local interface IP and any external IP address like 4.2.2.1?

We can see what happens to the packets via SonicWall and find out the root cause.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• sHatysHaty Newbie ✭

I ended up reverting to the last version of firmware, 6.5.4.7-83n, that I was running. That seems to have cleared up the issue.

The issue was occurring only for certain users, but it was constant. It was most noticeable while using RDP and RDP like connections. I did do some packet inspection but couldn't see any being specifically dropped by the firewall.

@SHATY - Thanks for sharing the info.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• ChojinChojin Enthusiast ✭✭

Hi,

could you explain how you did this revert? I have in mind, that this could count as downgrade and you will lose Sonicwall Support.

I am asking because i am having an issue after the update too and want to revert if support is to slow.

• sHatysHaty Newbie ✭

I just booted from the previous cloud backup that was done before the upgrade.

Why would you lose support for downgrading? That seems silly.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Here's the official KB on downgrading firmware - and only one option is listed as "not supported," but that DOES NOT mean you will lose your SonicWall support if the device is licensed.

edited July 2021

In the past Sonicwall told be that our sonicwall isnt supported in the current state since they see that a downgrade was done, thats why.

We dont do cloudbackups. Hopefully there is also another way without cloud backup.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

that DOES NOT mean you will lose your SonicWall support if the device is licensed.

Yes, your support does not suddenly evaporate, but a downgrade will be used as excuse to tell you to factory it and start again, or factory it, install the older firmware version and restore a backup taken at that older version.

We dont do cloudbackups. Hopefully there is also another way without cloud backup.

Check that link that Larry posted.

that DOES NOT mean you will lose your SonicWall support if the device is licensed.

Yes, your support does not suddenly evaporate, but a downgrade will be used as excuse to tell you to factory it and start again, or factory it, install the older firmware version and restore a backup taken at that older version.

-> Yeah thats how it will end and I wanna save me and the company the downtime

Check that link that Larry posted.

-> thanks I oversaw that the first time looking into the link, now I see it.

• SilvoSilvo Newbie ✭

I'm also seeing the same packet loss problem, seems to be most common when logging into certain HTTPS websites. I wasted days trying to resolve it and in had to roll back to 6.5.4.7-83n to fix it.