Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSa2650 - Change WAN port

I'm just a home user so please bear with me. I'm moving from a TZ model with X0 LAN which goes to a switch and X1 WAN to cable modem.

I've got a real good deal on a new 2650. Is this possible.....

• Use the 2.5GE X15 port to be my WAN port to support (2.5GE port on cable modem, 1.5gig service)
  • Combine the X0 thru X14 ports to all be group together as LAN (basically an un-managed switch) so I can plug anything into anything and everything can "see and talk to" everything; home system so no restrictions.

I'm sure it can be done, but is it easy for a novice. I don't need special rules or anything. My current system I only have 1 local user, me, which I use to VPN in.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @LARRYSCHWENK,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Answers to your questions.

• Yes, you can use 2.5GE X15 port as the WAN port.
    • You can use portshield switch mode or native bridge to combine all interfaces from X2 to X14 with X0 interface and they can be on same subnet.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• LarrySchwenkLarrySchwenk Newbie ✭

Thanks. I saw a discussion on using the PortShield, however the user said, while each could hit the WAN port fine, they were unable to see each other. So in your example above, X4 could not see X2 (ie X4 being a computer and X2 being a printer). He did not create anything special so everything was on the same subnet. The discussion ended there, so not sure if it was a user error or something.

Is there any addition configure needed?

@LARRYSCHWENK - No additional config required. By portshielding all interfaces with X0, all interfaces+X0 interface should be treated like they are on the same subnet and hence the devices connected to all these interfaces can talk to each other. This should work this way.

Please give a try and let me know.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

I just tried this on my TZ370. I did the port shield on the X2-X7, all portshield to X0.

I plugged a laptop into X4 and the IP came up in a different subnet, 192.168.0.1. My network is the 192.168.1.x

So another setting somewhere???

Hi @LARRYSCHWENK,

Could you please check the DHCP scope on the SonicWall? Have you connected the laptop directly to the X4 port and received a IP on different subnet? Also, please make sure there is no common switch used between all these portshielded interfaces. If used, please ensure they are all segregated using VLAN's for differentiation among them.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

I have DHCP set for 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.249 on X0. I was assuming since the X2-X7 were port shielded to X0 anything plugged into them would hit the X0 port and get assigned an IP in that range. However, that didn't work.

Yes, when I plugged the laptop into X4 it got assigned 192.168.0.1

Currently the X1 port feeds a switch. Ideally if the router has enough ports, make those ports (X0, X2-X7) act like a switch so I can eliminate the physical switch; seems to make sense. I thought it would be easy.

edited June 2021

Hi @LARRYSCHWENK,

Thanks for the answers. Have you used the subnet 192.168.0.x anywhere on the local network nor on the SonicWall? Could you please try the native bridge option as well and check for possible same issue?

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

No, have not used the .0.x subnet anywhere else, so no idea how it picked it.

When I try the nativebridge mode it shuts down the port. And when I try to enable it it "warns" me do I really want to do that????

Looking through the manual what about the L2 Bridge mode?

Hi @LARRYSCHWENK,

L2 bridging can be done but its between only two interfaces. Lets says interface X2 is bridged in L2 mode with X0. Other interfaces like X3 or any interface cannot be bridged to X0 anymore and there will be an error thrown. But you can try this if you are planning to bridge only two interfaces in L2 mode.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services