Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Port Forwarding

lemansgtlemansgt Newbie ✭

I am not really sure how to ask this question but we just swapped out servers at a customer site and now we cannot get one of the programs to run. It connects to a database from their website - the link is 208.107.28.210/efactor - efactor is the name of the program. Before the changeout, it was located on another server but now it is on the same server as the database. I did find one place on the Sonicwall under address objects where there was a private address pointing to the old server, I changed this and now I get a 404 error so I was thinking I was making progress. The software company says it must be something with port forwarding but I cannot find anything. After I made the change above, I did not reboot the Sonicwall, not sure if this would make a difference? We set this up years ago and I swear I worked with them but they say not....any ideas on anything to try? We are running a Sonicwall TZ400W and Windows Server 2012

Category: SSL VPN
Tagged:

Answers

• VivekVivek SonicWall Employee

Hello @lemansgt

Here's a quick check that you could do .. you mentioned that " Before the changeout, it was located on another server but now it is on the same server as the database ". Is the default gateway on this database server pointing at the SonicWall Lan interface IP ? Was the Database server accessible earlier ? Does the Application respond on a specific port number ?

Perhaps this Article might help you ahead especially the section about the packet capture.

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @LEMANSGT,

In addition to the points added by @Vivek, could you please check if the Database server is accessible locally from the same server or any other machine on the same subnet?

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• lemansgtlemansgt Newbie ✭

Yes that is the first thing we tried on the local server, we did a localhost and the program came right up like it should. Thanks

Hi @LEMANSGT,

Thanks for your confirmation.

Could you please ensure to access the database server via loopback NAT using the public IP address configured on the firewall from the same LAN subnet behind SonicWall? If the issue still persists, the best way to diagnose it for fix is to perform a packet capture on the SonicWall. Please refer below KB article web-link for packet capture.

Note: Since you are trying to access the database server from external network, please capture packets based on Source IP address as "Outside Public IP address" that tries to contact the database server and destination port as database server's port if known.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

I went into the Sonicwall GUI, into Monitor but I dont have a Packet Monitor - can it be called something else?

I found the Packet monitor under Investigate but not sure what I am looking for there - will go back and look at the directions. One thing I was thinking about - before we changed everything over, we had two servers with two connections to the Sonicwall, I am assuming on X0 and X1. I unplugged the cable that was going into the server that was doing this web database and used the cable from the old main server and just plugged that into the new server. Could that be the issue where something is configured to use port X0 or X1, or visa versa?

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

X0 is the default LAN port, X1 is the default WAN port. other ports can be port-shielded (bridged) to X0 or setup as dedicated interface for DMZ, etc. It matters where things are plugged into in networking.

Hi @LEMANSGT,

Please check the IP subnets to ensure behind which interface of the SonicWall, the server's are hosted. It should be basically your X0 behind as per your scenario you explained on previous comments. Please cross verify the same. Packet Monitor on the SonicWall helps us find out if SonicWall is interfering and getting the server access to not to happen. But there are several instances where it is a non-SonicWall issue and something to do with LAN, network devices causing issue, etc,.,

Please ensure to check the physical connections once.

Please perform a packet capture as per below syntax shown below to verify and trace the packets traversing via the SonicWall. This packet monitor is for the scenario to access the database server from external network.

Please click on System > Packet Monitor > Configure,

- Settings tab: Disable all check boxes

- Monitor Filter tab:

* Check “Enable Bidirectional address and port matching"

* Ether type: IP

* IP Type: TCP, UDP

*Source IP Address: Specify the Public IP address of the user coming from external network

* Destination Ports: Specify the ports used the server that we are trying to access

* Everything else clear

- Display Filter Tab: Everything clear, all boxes check

- Advance Monitor Filter: Everything check

- Click OK, and Start Capture.

- Please click on Refresh option in the packet monitor page to see the traffic.

If firewall is causing trouble, then you should see dropped packets and we can figure out the reason for the same.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Yesterday I checked the physical connections and everything was where they should be - not sure what I was thinking. I had originally worked with a Sonicwall tech to setup all of this six years ago and since then the only thing that has changed was the new server and a new Sonicwall but things were working before the new server. I did the packet capture as you described but I didnt see any dropped packets, unless I am doing something wrong. I can see the program if I do a "localhost", it brings up right away

Hi @LEMANSGT,

Thanks for capturing the packets on the SonicWall. We should analyze the captured packets to find the non-working reason. I would suggest to take help from our SonicWall Support team on this regard.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services