Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Ping/Ssh using hostname through SSL VPN (NetExtender) fails

Hi

I set up SSL VPN using https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-can-i-setup-ssl-vpn/170505609285133/ with my TZ370 and it was pretty smooth.

I can connect from home from my Win10 laptop to my SonicWall in the office. I can ping/ssh machines using their IP in the LAN. But I can't use their name. (Using the name work when I am in the office though, ie not via SSL/VPN. I can also see the names in Home|Topology)

I found this: https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/ping-to-a-hostname-through-netextender-connection-fails/170505925169950/

which seems to be the exact same problem, but I don't have any WINS server, so not sure to understand the solution.

Any idea what I need to do to resolve the names over SSL VPN, so that I can connect from home to my machines in the LAN at the office?

I did try to enable NetBIOS over SSLVPN in SSLVPN|Clients Setting but it does not help.

I also used "Default DNS Settings" in SSLVPN|Clients Setting and it reused the DNS of my ISP (which does not know my local machines)

THanks so much

B

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @Benoit,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

With Netbios enabled on the SSLVPN, we should be able to access the resources using host names. Have you tried all the steps from the below KB article meant for Netbios SSLVPN?

If yes, then please make sure you have Netbios enabled on the SSLVPN client and LAN resources that the users are trying to access.

1. Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
    2. Note: In Windows® XP, click Control Panel > Network Connections.
    3. Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.
    4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select Properties.
    5. Click Advanced > WINS.
    6. From the NetBIOS setting area, ensure that Default or Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP are selected.
    7. Click OK and exit the Local Area Properties dialog(s).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about the issue. You cannot resolve names to IP addresses. What does that equate to? DNS.

If you are connecting to a network with Active Directory you should be specifying the AD domain name and DNS servers in the SSLVPN client settings. If the device you are connecting from has been joined to that AD domain than you should be all set. If not you'll likely need to use the FQDNs of the servers you are trying to connect to.

• BenoitBenoit Newbie ✭

@Saravanan Thanks. I tried to create the NetBios Address object as described in the link but when I press "Save", it tells me "Invalid address object" (for 255.255.255.255) (I have version 7.x). Also forced  Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP  in the settings

@TKWITS yes, it makes sense. My setup is for now very simple. There is no AD for now, just one user locally defined. I have two Linux workstations directly connected to my TZ370, each of them having their full names set in /etc/hostname and etc/hosts . I guess they communicate their name to the LAN, and I was happy to see that when I connect my WIN10 laptop on the LAN, I can just ssh/ping the name of these Linux workstations. However when I do that from SSLVPN, the names are not resolved.

It does look like a netbios pb, but I can't create that Address object with 255.255.255.255.

What is the NetBios IP Helper supposed to do? I tried as well but without any success.

Thanks

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are putting computer names in your linux local HOSTS files I would suggest you do the same on the Windows machine. Make it easier on yourself.

• BenoitBenoit Newbie ✭
    edited June 2021

I meant each /etc/hosts only has its own name, not the names of others, eg on Ubuntu

$ more /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    127.0.1.1       darwin

Would love to make it work !

Thanks again for your help

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @Benoit,

Thanks for trying out the suggestions and confirming the same. It looks like the issue needs to be investigated over real-time troubleshooting session. May I request you to approach our support team to seek further assistance?

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benoit,

If you have Local DNS server, You can follow the the below KB:

If you don't the local DNS server, You must have to add the Server host static IP in your local machine host file,

For example if you are using Windows machines;

1. Go to Start > run Notepad.
    2. Right click on the Notepad icon and select Run as a administrator.
    3. Select Open from the File menu option.
    4. Select All Files (*.*) from the file type drop-down.
    5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    6. Open the hosts file.
    7. Add the host name and IP address to the bottom of the host file. The comments in this file show how to format this entry.
    8. For example:
    9. 192.168.1.100  Darwinsrv
    10. Save the host file.

For example if you are using Ubuntu machines;

Sudo vim / etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

192.168.1.100 Darwinsrv

Save & exit (wq!)