Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How do I change the Sonicwave 231c from dhcp to static ip?

dpattendpatten Newbie ✭

How do I change the Sonicwave 231c from dhcp to static ip?

Category: SonicWave

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You haven't really provided much information.

Are you managing the AP from a firewall or from the cloud (Wireless Network Manager)?

If the firewall, you can go into the DHCP Server Settings at set the Lease Scope to issue a static IP based on the AP's MAC address.

If using WNM (without a firewall) I don't think there is any mechanism to do this. You would have to configure the IP on the cable modem itself.

Answers

• dpattendpatten Newbie ✭

"Are you managing the AP from a firewall or from the cloud (Wireless Network Manager)?"

This is the root of my question. The documentation pushes one to use the WNM, but there is little hardware control for the actual AP's I'm deploying thru that interface. I'm marking your reply as the answer because you ended up answering it - even if by accident ;-)

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@dpatten I have configurations that use both methods.

In a warehouse that already had a TZ350, I added 4 APs to handle WiFi for barcode devices to scan inventory. The APs were configured in the firewall because that provides the backbone of the network and assigning the proper zones and configurations was, well, easy.

For a condominium with an outdoor pool deck, the APs are in a mesh configuration and get their signal from a Verizon FIOS modem. Without any intervening hardware, there was no other way to configure it other than using WNM.

That's my rule of thumb.

• NickZhangNickZhang SonicWall Employee
    edited June 2021

@dpatten

Thanks for your feedback here.

After review the above discussion between you and Larry , I assume that you are controlling your SonicWave by WNM right now(At the same time Thank you @Larry for your detailed explanation and your comments based on your real world topology).

Let's return to the subject here , if you want to change the IP address mode from DHCP to Static for your SonicWave on WNM , you just need to go to WNM - Network - Device tab , and click the edit button of the SonicWave you want to configure , then on the pop-out window's General page , change the the route mode from Bridge to NAT first , then in the IP address part choose the Static button and input all the info you wanted to assign to your SonicWave which including static IP , netmask , gateway , primary/secondary DNS.

Note: Your Static IP should in the same subnet of your Gateway or the connection of your SonicWave will broken. The easiest way is to change it to the same IP(or in the same subnet) to the one which you have obtained from your DHCP server , for example: If you obtained 172.168.2.137 , then you could set your static IP to 172.168.2.138.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any confusion or meet any issues during your deployment , we'll try our best to follow and resolve it.

Thanks,

Nick

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@NickZhang - I appreciate the details about how to get out of DHCP mode, and I started wondering why I didn't do that, because I like to know the IP addresses of my devices.

I double-checked and the page reminded me: "Mesh isn't supported on NAT mode device."

Got it!