Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Port Forwarding and Assigned IPs on TZ 350

I am considering purchasing a TZ 350 for a SMB client of mine.

They have special requirements that require port forwarding and assigning fixed IP addresses on the LAN. Does the TZ 350 allow this?

I tried to find an administrator's manual online so I could look this up myself but could not find one; just a quick start guide.

Thanks in advance.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The quick answer is yes, the TZ350 is more than capable of what (I think) you are asking. But so are consumer 'routers'.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @NEKTON,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Yes, you should be able to achieve that requirement. All SonicWall firewall models can support your requirement.

Please refer below web-link for port forwarding config info on SonicWall.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Plan your network addressing. Rely on defaults and you'll run into things like this. Using an entire subnet for DHCP is silly and lazy.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I allocate the least addresses to DHCP. Yes you may run into situations where there are no addresses available to a new device connecting, but it is also a little bit of security knowing a random infected device connected to the network may not get an address (and thus not spread its infection). So start DHCP at an address that will be above the highest static ip address. Leave room for growth between your chosen statics and DHCP.

Static DHCP entries on a Sonicwall do not replicate the way Windows Server handle DHCP reservations. Yes they accomplish the same goal, but they are entirely different.

Answers

• NektonNekton Newbie ✭

This is the very type of information I was looking for! Thank you! Is there a knowledge base article on setting up the TZ 350 to assign static IP addresses in the LAN zone?

• NektonNekton Newbie ✭

Thank you. I was using the Search function within the community forum board. Still learning the best way to get to information as I consider purchasing this product. Appreciate your patience and help.

• MicahMicah admin

Hello @Nekton,

I hope you are well.

You can also use our global search tool if you are looking for specific information. Just let us know how we can help!

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager

• NektonNekton Newbie ✭

I ended up purchasing the 350 TZ and have been making use of the links above and the online documentation.

I went through the quick configuration to set up the device as a gateway. The internal LAN is a 192.168.2. range with a mask of 255.255.255.0. When I try to create the static DCHP scope settings for an address, let's say 192.168.2.38, I get an error that says Error: [192.168.2.38 - 192.168.2.38] overlaps with entry [192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254].

Should I try to break up the DHCP scope into several or start the DHCP at an address that will be above the highest static ip address I need to use?

I though by creating a static scope for an address it would just pull it from the pool of DHCP leases but I guess I have that wrong.

Thanks in advance.