Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Enabling Minecraft Port Forwarding

Hello! I'm trying to enable port forwarding for 25565 on my SonicWall so we can host a Minecraft server. All of the required settings are a bit advanced from what I know. I have both TCP and UDP rules on 25565, and they're enabled, so I'm thinking it's something to do with my source/destination, included in the image below. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @JJORGENSON,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

The Source and Destination on the access rule should be Any and Public IP that you used to access the Minecraft server. Please change these and you could access the server from outside.

Kindly make sure the NAT policy is also changed with these info for server access from outside.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• jjorgensonjjorgenson Newbie ✭
    @Saravanan thanks for the response!
    Which destination option would best fit? There's all the options are confusing.

Thanks!

@JJORGENSON - Destination should contain the public IP used externally by your local server. Lets say, X1 WAN IP or any other WAN interface IP. Please share your private IP of the local server and public IP address assigned to the local server access from outside.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Tried WAN Interface IP and All WAN IP - Error: To Zone: Failed to get handle for __zones 2 from Zone_Object_table. @Saravanan

Hi @JJORGENSON,

As requested on previous comment, please share your private IP of the local server and public IP address assigned to the local server access from outside. Also, share the screenshot of your firewall's Network Interfaces page.

I'll provide you the inbound NAT and WAN to LAN access rule look alike.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

edited May 2021

Ah, I thought you meant I had to share it with some internal stuff, not here.

The private address I'm trying to host the server on is 192.168.0.173

Here's the Interface settings page under Network > Interface

Hi @JJORGENSON,

Thanks for the screenshot.

The inbound NAT and WAN to LAN access rule should look as referenced below.

NAT policy:

Source: Any

Translated Source: Original

Destination: X1 IP

Translated Destination: 192.168.0.173

Service: Minecraft TCP

Translated Service: Original

Inbound Interface: X1

Outbound Interface: Any

WAN to LAN access rule:

Action: Allow

Source Port: Any

Service: Minecraft TCP

Source: Any

Destination: X1 IP

These above config should be on the SonicWall. If still the access doesn't work, you may need to open up the minecraft port on the upstream ISP router/modem to the SonicWall's X1 IP address and this is because your ISP provided public IP address is terminated on the upstream router/modem whereas SonicWall's X1 IP is of private.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hey again! The server works great, however my ISP called us saying the upload amount has been astronomical since I began port forwarding, too much for a Minecraft server (I've never had an issue on other routers with being "commercial level" uploads for a simple modded server for my friends). Would any of the port forwarding options here cause this? Thanks! @Saravanan
  • Hey @jjorgenson,

I hope you are well.

Port forwarding simply allows network traffic to a specific server. It does not increase it. Have you confirmed on the Minecraft server that all network traffic is going to the right spot?

I wish my ISP alerted me for this type of stuff. They just cap my line!

Kind Regards,

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager

• SekkiSekki Newbie ✭
    edited August 2023

Hello, Micah, Thanks for all the help here. I was facing some issues while assigning IP addresses to the source & destinations. And your suggestions solved them.

A big thanks for your corporation. And thanks to jjorgenson too for starting this thread.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@jjorgenson and when you're done setting it up, check the info below, just in case you're not aware of it already:

--Michael@BWC