Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Need to migrate SonicWall Global Management system from 8.7 to 9.3

Hello

I would like to know all the improvements that there are in version 9.3 that we do not have in version 8.7

I would like to know if there is no other version more recent than version 9.3

I would like to know if it is advisable to do an update or a new installation

the project was entrusted to me and therefore I need all the elements that can help me to complete

Thank you for your answers

Stevemy

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Stevemy,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Please find answers to your questions inline.

I would like to know all the improvements that there are in version 9.3 that we do not have in version 8.7

Please refer below release notes for the improvements on GMS 9.3.

I would like to know if there is no other version more recent than version 9.3.

GMS 9.3 is the latest one. There is a Service Pack and a HF available in addition. Both these can be applied when there is a need. (For more info on these, please go through the release notes available from MySonicWall).

I would like to know if it is advisable to do an update or a new installation.

Both the options should work.

If you are planning for an upgrade, please don't miss reading the below upgrade guide.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @STEVEMY,

Sure definitely. Could you please let me know the platform (Windows or ESXi) on which your current GMS 8.7 is running?

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Answers

• StevemyStevemy Newbie ✭

Hello SARAVANAN

many thanks for you quick reply

that answers my question

at the moment i have version 8.7 and i would like to upgrade to version 9.3

I would like to be able to choose between a new installaiton and an update and for that I need your advice and suggestion

Best Regards

Stevemy

Hello SARVANAN

the platform on which the current version (8.7) is running is a Windows

this windows system is installed on a Nutanix hypervisor

Best Regards

HI @SARAVANAN

I have just had a discussion with my hierarchical superior who proposes to do a complete reinstallation, backup of the current database and import into the new version

what do you think about it?

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @STEVEMY,

At this point, I would suggest you to go with DB backup import and if doesn't work lets try fresh DB configuration. I really haven't tried this scenario and hence this would be my suggestion. Be prepared for both the options 🙂

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hi

thank you for your return SARAVANAN

The documents you sent me explain the update, I would like to have the link of a documentation which explains the complete installation of gms 9.3 on vmware

Best Regards

Hi

other SARAVANAN question

the installer of gms 9.3 is delivered in what form:

1- an iso that we install directly on vmware

2- an application that requires the operating system (Windows or Linux) to be installed beforehand?

Best regards

• DarshanDarshan SonicWall Employee

@Stevemy Let me clarify your questions. 1: You can not take back from GMS 8.7 and restore it on GMS 9.3. If you want you can take backup on DB and restore it on GMS 9.3 if you are expert in mysql DB.

2: There is OVA file for ESXI and EXE file for Windows.

3: If you will run GMS 9.3 EXE file on GMS 8.7 server, it will upgrade it to GMS 9.3 if you will run exe on new serevr it will install. EXE will detect the existing GMS

Also I would like to point here we do not officially support Nutanix hypervisor. You can use Hyper V on windows or ESXI.

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @STEVEMY,

@Darshan has answered your questions. Unfortunately, there is no specific install guide for GMS 9.3. May be you can try the below guide meant for GMS 9.2 which should resemble the same. The guide contains install steps for ESXi platform but you can run the EXE file for windows and same guide specified steps should work.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services