Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Email Security 10.0.9 and Plus Addressing

Hi All,

Could someone tell me if / how ES supports Plus Addressing?

This is now available on Exchange Online - Plus Addressing in Exchange Online | Microsoft Docs - and I have a current ES (Software) client wishing to explore this feature. I realise I could bypass DHA to allow emails through ES and into O365, but if an item was to be junked, then I assume the intended recipient wouldn't see it in their Junk Summary?

Apologies if I've missed this feature in earlier updates - its been a busy year :-)

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Category: Email Security Software

Answers

• David WDavid W SonicWall Employee

Email Security does not do Plus Addressing.

That is a feature of Exchange for mailboxes.

Subaddressing is defined as a way to support dynamically created recipient (not sender) email addresses for mailboxes.

Email Security looks for an exact match to the email addresses and aliases that have been read from LDAP,

David Wilbur

Technical Support Senior Advisor, Premier Services , SME Email Security

• NickEbstarLtdNickEbstarLtd Newbie ✭

Hi David,

Thanks for the speedy repsonse!

Is this likely to be considered as a feature to be added in the future? It's not just an Exchange online feature, it is also supported by GMail and a number of other email hosts. As an MSP we have to listen to our clients requests and I'm sure this client, who themselves operate in the technology sector, won't be the last to ask about this. Plus Addressing, as defined by Microsoft, in the link above, does contain the recipient address prior to the '+' and after the '@', so could an expression rule be created to match the email address by ignoring the part between the + and @ ?

I hope that makes sense?

• David WDavid W SonicWall Employee

This would have to be an engineering effort to add.

I have messaged our product manager about this as well so he is aware.

There presently wouldn't be anything you could do on email security to support this in any way.

All you could do right now is disable DHA protections and allow the message to the mail sever to be handled.

David Wilbur

Technical Support Senior Advisor, Premier Services , SME Email Security

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@BWCsorry wrong post...