Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ470 not establishing PPPoE connection

Hello,

After exporting settings from old TZ400 and importing those to the new TZ470 we have issues in one of our offices with the PPPoE connection.

Actually similar to this thread: https://community.sonicwall.com/technology-and-support/discussion/1990/new-tz270-not-able-to-pppoe

Unfortunately the suggested edit of the "Ncp retrans time" is not working for us.

The colleague onsite was so kind to capture the packets like described by @BWC in the thread above. I've attached the capture in text format.

Do you guys have any suggestions what to do here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,

Chris

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @hbs_Chris I guess you changed the Monitor Filter because of my typo and monitored PPPOE-SES and PPPOE-DIS, correct?

From what I'am reading out of this trace is, that you're getting an Authentication Error, You're 100% certain that the credentials are correct, any funny characters in there, which might get lost in the process?

--Michael@BWC

• hbs_Chrishbs_Chris Newbie ✭

Hi @BWC,

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I've changed the typo in the Monitor Filter.

The colleague onsite checked the credentials twice. But I will ask to check once more with their provider to rule this out. Can it really be that the export/import is messing with the credentials here?

Chris

Hi @hbs_Chris

if the credentials consists of only a-zA-Z0-9@ it shouldn't be a problem, but other special characters could be a problem. The TZ 470 is on R1262 already?

--Michael@BWC

• hbs_Chrishbs_Chris Newbie ✭

Hi @BWC ,

Thanks, will keep this in mind!

The firmware has been upgraded to R1262 already. Didn't change anything unfortunately.

The technician had to leave, so I'll have to wait until next week before doing further tests. Luckily the old SonicWall is still running.

Chris

• Aamir_DayarAamir_Dayar SonicWall Employee

Hello @hbs_Chris ,

I have checked the attached PCAP and there are few drops with Drop Code: 361(Received PPPoE packet for non-existent PPP session in DP.), which is most likely caused by NCP Retrans time.

Can you please try changing the Retrans time to 200, 500 , 2000 and 3000 (Different ISP's will have different behavior) and let us know if this fixes the issue.

----Aamir Dayar

@hbs_Chris I totally forgot about this thread, but did you got this resolved, because I ran into a similar issue:

--Michael@BWC