Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Can Sonicwall TZ bandwidth management be a replacement for Packetshaper?

Hi Team,

I don't know if anyone have any idea or experience about this, but can the bandwidth management feature of Sonicwall TZ600 be a replacement for PacketShaper S200?

Our client have an existing both devices, but they want to remove the packetshaper and use the sonicwall's bandwidth management feature instead. We want to know what are the differences between those two.

Thank you to anyone who can answer.

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Oliver,

I have not worked on PacketShaper S200 before, but based on a quick read of the datasheet I can see that it provides visibility, control, and monitoring based on applications.

The BWM feature on the firewall can be used to apply bandwidth restrictions and reservations based on application signatures, domains categorized under CFS as well as access rules based on source/destination IP and the services they use. We also have the QoS feature on the firewall if needed.

The monitoring part is done with a real-time app flow monitor and reports. But if you need historic data, then you would need to use our dedicated monitoring/reporting tool: Analytics.

So, it depends on what you are currently using the S200 for, and then choose to see if the swap can be done by using these additional features available on the firewall itself.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

Answers

• OliverOliver Newbie ✭
    edited May 2021

I'am sorry. It is not TZ600, but NSA6600.

• OliverOliver Newbie ✭

Hi @shiprasahu93

Thank you very much for this info. I think we need to check and compare these details to PacketShaper.

• Glad I could help. Have a good one!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services