Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Firmware upgrade from NSM (cloud)

Hi,

Is there anyway to improve NSM?

1st : Because ther is noway to upgrade firmware directly from a Sonicwall cloud backbone (since the cloud NSM is in the Sonicwall Datacenter), We have to download the firmware first from mysonicwall, then upload it to the NSM, then apply it again to upgrade the firewall?

2nd: There is noway to select multiple identical firewalls (for example TZ570) and send the firmware upgrade at one click.

It will be easier and faster to be able to upgrade a group of firewalls from the cloud NSM at one click.

thank you.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Pierre, the current version of NSM is supposed to be able to do this.

As per the documentation:

Multi-Device Upgrades

Historically, each device had to be upgraded individually, but with this release, administrators can upgrade multiple devices from within NSM with a single action. This feature is not limited to any specific hardware and is available to all devices managed by NSM. The only requirement is that all the devices grouped to be upgraded together must be of the same model. For example a TZ model firewall and an NSa model firewall cannot be in the same upgrade group. They each need to be in separate groups.

You can monitor a firewall's group by viewing it on the Inventory page (Manager View | HOME > Firewalls > Inventory). The command to upgrade the firmware is in the Actions list. Upgrades can also be scheduled; refer to the Network Security Manager Administration Guide for more information.

That was the whole reason behind this latest update (2.2.0) and improvements are supposed to be more so in the 2.2.1 due out soon.

• PierreHPierreH Newbie ✭

Hello Lary, I checked the NSM and this action of firmware upgrade is not present (see the screen capture), NSM version 2.2.0-R10-H1

@PierreH, based on your image you are in Firewalls -> Groups. According to the document, you need to be in Firewalls -> Inventory.

I can see individual action on each firewall

OK, I only have one device for each client - but the idea of the ability to update multiple devices at one time is based on Groups.

Your screens shows "Group By: No Grouping"

I'm almost certain that if you clicked that drop-down arrow you'd see something along the lines of the model types - at which point the action should apply to the group...

More details here: https://www.sonicwall.com/support/technical-documentation/docs/nsm-administration/Content/topics/device-group/device-group.htm/

Ok I found it, When I choose Group by Group name, even if it is a group of the same model, I cannot see the firmware upgrade, but When I choose grouping by Model, I can see the option, it is better.

But unfortunately I still have to download the firmware from mysonicwall and upload it then from my PC to Cloud NSM.

Hope they will find a solution to be selected directly from the cloud, without downloading and uploading.

The Admin Guide does NOT indicate a download / upload process.

Multi-device Firmware Upgrade

You can now upgrade multiple firewalls from a group of devices in a single action.

To perform group upgrade of devices:

1. Navigate to Manager View | Firewalls > Inventory page.

2. Hover over the device for which want to edit the settings, click Ellipses icon in the ACTION column and select Firmware Upgrade.

3. There are 3 steps to perform upgrade. Select the devices in the group by checking the box.

4. Browse and select the Firmware and click Next to proceed to the next screen .

a. Schedule Now - Choose this to upgrade instantly.

b. Set Schedule - Set a future date to upgrade.

5. Click Upgrade.

• DYoungDYoung Newbie ✭

I find the entirety of the new SonicWALL local interfaces portals, NSM, etc. Ridiculously impossible to navigate. The entire thing is terribly designed and though out and massively overcomplicated.