Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

6.5.4.7 - Extended Passive Mode not supported?

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

I experienced this already in 2015, but got no Feedback from my SNWL SE back then, today I faced it again.

One customer is trying to connect via Extended Passive Mode FTP (EPSV) to a FTP Server, which fails. I did some research back in 2015 and came to the conclusion that the FTP Transformation (FTP Helper) does not recognize the port negotiation, which is different from normal PASV mode. Because there is no exclusion for FTP Transformation, all I could do is disable it completly by selecting some weird unsed port and create a ANY Rule to the FTP Port address.

Is there any information that this will be fixed or should it work already?

--Michael@BWC

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• @BWC,

I see that this was reported in 2016 under Issue ID: 153146. This was addressed on firmware 6.2.4.3, so it should be included in 6.5.4.7.

I couldn't find more details, but it would be best to have support take a look at the packet captures/flow for further analysis.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@shiprasahu93 thanks, sounds promising, I'll check with the customer to do some further digging. Currently they disabled EPSV and the transfer was possible. This will be probably keep me away from getting to the bottom of this.

--Michael@BWC