Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWall NetExtender setting, Server, shows multiple identical menu entries but only one works

xtianxtian Newbie ✭

My office is using SonicWall NetExtender since last year, and Server setting has become a problem.

"Server: specify the Ip Address of the SonicWall WAN (by default SSL VPN is enabled on every WAN Interface of the SonicWall) followed by the port (specified in Server Settings of SSL VPN)" [2]

The below screen shot is a sufficient example from MySonicWall documentation showing dropdown options under Server. The problem is my Server drop-down displays 7 examples, 2 are identical, but only 1 works. My colleague's settings show 5 identical entries where only 1 works.

Can I troubleshoot NetExtender client on my machine? Or, must this be resolved by the system admin?

Can I discover the difference between identical Server entries in NetExtender client?

[1]: https://community.sonicwall.com/technology-and-support/discussion/comment/3974#Comment_3974

[2]: https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-do-i-configure-the-ssl-vpn-feature-for-use-with-netextender-or-mobile-connect/170505401898786/

Category: VPN Client
Tagged:

Answers

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@xtian on the button of the Screenshot there you find an Symbol like a wrench. Click to get the settings. Left Side choose connection profiles and clear the "not working" entries.

i think the first entries are not reachable from WAN private ip adresses,

the last one does not show the 4433 Port which came as default for a sslvpn connection.

choose the right and working entry and you should see an public ip adress or dns name followed by the port maybe 4433

--Thomas

• xtianxtian Newbie ✭
    edited April 2021

"Click to get the settings. Left Side choose connection profiles and clear the "not working" entries."

Ah! Yes. Thank you.

Now the second part, how do I determine which profile to keep?

If I understand your suggestion based on the docs screen shot example, the entry with port number is the one I should pick. In my actual connection profiles I see,

SERVER                      DOMAIN         USER

MYCOLLC.DNS.NET:4433        myco.local     Chris

MYCOLLC.DNS.NET:4433        myco.local 

MYCOLLC.DNS.NET:4433        myco.local

Now the main modal screen has four options (Server, Username, Password, Domain).

'User': 'Chris' does not equal the main modal's correct 'Username' value, 'Chris C'.

How should I understand these differences?

Is there anything else I should know about this list of profiles before I start deleting? Basically, our workgroup has one VPN hardware device and multiple individual client machines which we log into. Should I expect that I would only need one profile? These others--and I have no idea how they got there--are all disposable?

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@xtian please go back to your screenshot and have another look "Save username and password if server allows"

means if you start the netextender again clear all the fields and type in the new values

mycollc.dns.net:4433

chris c

your password for this connection

and the domain : myco.local

try to connect and the netextender will save the entries what is allowed. Your then see another entry in the "connection list"

as tipp : i would think chris c must be the username in the office so remember the spelling as on your office pc.

the myco.local seeams to be the office internal userdomain. This seems to be quiet clear. So is your username typed correctly?

2nd question : we are only talking about a software vpn client. Netextender. This is used for having a vpn to the firewall mostly from WAN to LAN. But it could be that your firewallbox starts the tunnel connection directly. In this case you shouldn´t need the netextender on top.

But this only your admin guy can answer...

--Thomas

• xtianxtian Newbie ✭
    edited April 2021

" try to connect and the netextender will save the entries what is allowed. Your then see another entry in the "connection list"

Ok. The excess must be the result of early setup. As I mentioned we have been using this same setup since last year. I've not experienced problems (yet), but some of my colleagues have. I was on a Zoom last week to help one connect and I realized the extent of the problem.

There is something not right with the user name as displayed in profiles. I selected the option with user=Chris displayed above, created a shortcut, and this populated the modal with the other username=Chris C.

I using the shortcut to save the profile outside of the app, and then using a process of elimination to find the one that works and delete the others.

Thanks for the help.