Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Finding a hardware failover in logs or TSR

What do we look for in the firewall logs, or TSR to track hardware failovers?

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @shultis,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

You may need to download the tracelogs from both primary and secondary units and look for keyword "failover", you should see traces relevant to HA failover if any.

Try with the All+Current tracelog file. Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• shultisshultis Newbie ✭

Saravanan,

Thank you for the quick response. Does the sonicwall not log a hardware failover?

Scott

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

@SHULTIS - Yes, the SonicWall does log the HA failover activity in its GUI logs. You should be checking the logs immediately once the failover occurs. Because the log buffer on the SonicWall is limited and older logs may get deleted upon new logs generation. Also, please make sure to enable the HA failover log category in the SonicWall log settings. Tracelogs info is non-volatile even if there is a firewall reboot but SonicWall logs are not.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @shultis

HA failover is one of the many unresolved Puzzles. I can never tell WHY a HA failover happened, I can guess but I never can say for sure. This leaves me always empty handed in front of my Customers, which is a bummer.

--Michael@BWC

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @shultis

For tracking the HA Logs, Try to enable the High Availability Monitoring, General & State full logs & enable Gui, Alert & Email and configure the email alert in Firewall.

For Enabling the HA Logs, Navigate to Log --> Settings -->Network -->High Availability and enable the Log for the Monitoring, General & state (Full) enable GUI, Alert & Email.