Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

New Wireless Network Manager UI (3.5) shows it needs much more work

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Let's configure a customized Guest splash page.

You would INSTINCTIVELY know that the pencil icon next to the words "Customized Splash Page" is actually a hyperlink that leads to the page on which you would perform your customization. I guess that's because the pencil is now the de facto indicator of Edit.

You make your changes and click the Save check mark, because many of SonicWall's new UI web pages use that new icon and functionality. And then you lose your work.

WHY? Well, first you have to hover your cursor over the check mark to see the warning.

Yep, Save doesn't save until you go back and click OK on the previous screen. Which you wouldn't expect to do on ANY OTHER SCREEN.

And then, once you've carefully crafted your message, you go to preview it and get the following result:

I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that some developer, somewhere, tested this using Firefox and Chrome. And that someone in the QA team did the same. And yet it made its way into production.

Of course, without clearly seeing the text, I don't know if using HTML code will format it properly. And if it doesn't, I have no clue as to how one creates spaces between paragraphs...

This is clearly not the "high quality" that SonicWall touts for its product line. And the worst part is, I have no belief that any of this will be fixed soon.

When is someone in the corporate office going to get serious about stopping this kind of stuff from happening in the first place?

Category: Wireless Network Manager

Comments

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

During an hour-long remote session with Support, the CSR and I learned that if we changed the settings of the text (which I had made black on a white background) to some other color, it would appear on this Preview page. It seems the "dark mode" beloved by SonicWall these days is the default for the preview window pop-up. Currently (WNM 3.5.10), there is no ability to change that background color. And because my AP is not yet active, I have NO IDEA if what is previewed is what is actually going to be shown to end-users.

But by having changed the color to light teal, we were also able to discern that HTML coding in the text is not processed - it appears as HTML code in the preview. Similarly, if we remove the HTML coding and added spaces between lines, the preview removed those blank lines and concatenated all the text.

The CSR is now (ambitiously, I hope) going to see about qualifying - and hopefully rectifying - the numerous, egregious conditions of this one function - Guest Splash Page. Ticket number is 43658784.

Just discovered that the left-hand menu and the main section of this UI is broken. When going down items in the left hand menu, the main screen is supposed to remain at the top. Instead, this main section scrolls down to match the left-hand menu item. Simply awful!

Because this offering is in "beta" I was informed I am not supposed to open Tickets in the Support portal. Instead, I'm supposed to create Feedback items in the Community's beta section.

Questioning what's going to happen: Go GA in mid-May as originally suggested during the Q1 info session with all these flaws, or postpone until fixed?

• Hello @Larry, I'm sorry for this inconvenience. You are correct that beta product questions are best handled in the beta community so that the right moderators, including Product Managers review these comments. I've looped in @Sohrab to help answer these questions. May I also move this thread to the beta community?

Kind Regards,

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager

@Micah - I already cross posted it without today's update. Was waiting to see how long it was actually going to take to get any traction there....

@Micah - one week later and zero response from @Sohrab to DM, posts, or your request.

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Larry was just confronted with the WCM. Wanted to check a license upgrade on a device but wcm cannot find a registered product? two further tenants cannot be opened either - only the beta video is offered. A single tenent opens after several attempts - there are now 3 of 6 devices in it.

the SonicWifi app on the iphone remains stuck with the 2FA.

after yesterday's DNS disaster, that's what I need for the weekend ...

--Thomas

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@Larry,

Since more than 2yrs I am behind with SonicWALL beta team as well as back end team for enhancing the WNM (It was WCM) reporting feature. Recently I created a post here regarding the same and it's been deleted.

I do have several sonicwave units deployed in zone based (single tenant) but while generating the report, there is no option to choose the zone or deceive based report. For this I submitted my feedback to the back end team and it was WCM 2.0.29 now it's WNM 3.5 and nothing happened.

my second post has been deleted for the same.

• Hello @Ajishlal,

I hope you are well.

Please, can you provide more information on the posts that you are referring to so we can follow up internally? I see you created a WNM post here (https://community.sonicwall.com/technology-and-support/discussion/2149/wcm-zone-based-individual-device-based-reporting-not-available) is there another post that we need to follow up on?

Kind Regards,

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Micah

YES. the above link was missing from "My Discussions" after March 22nd and I send you one personnel message for the same.