Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSa 2650 to TZ

Hi. I have an NSa2650 that I use at my home office. I have used sonicwall since a SOHO and have been on the pro line since 2040, then 2400, then 2600, and now 2650. I have stayed on the NSA since I have a 1GB Fios connection and use AGSS and was concern with the TZ line bogging down the connection.

I have 8 computers, 8 phones/tablets, 20 IP cameras, and around 30 other devices.  My 2650 currently shows 69 DHCP leases.

My NSA2650 AGSS is up for renewal in July so I am looking at my options. Looking at the new TZ570 or TZ670, these look like they can handle all the security services turned on better than the 2650 and they will cost less than the NSA2700.

Some questions:

1. Will the TZ570 or TZ670 work as good or better than the 2650?
  2. Can I import settings from the NSA2650 to the TZ?
  3. Can I do the secure upgrade from the NSA to the TZ so I can keep the extra SSL VPN licenses I have on the 2650?

thanks

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @RINCONMIKE,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Yes, the Gen 7 TZ appliances can be or more powerful to Gen 6 NSAs. PFB answer to your questions.

• Yes, the TZ570 or TZ670 work better than the 2650. Please refer datasheet for more details and to spot the difference in performances. Datasheets can be found online.
    • Unfortunately as per support matrix, it is Not Supported.
    • Secure Upgrade should be possible.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• RinconmikeRinconmike Newbie ✭

Thanks, Would the 570 be a good choice or should I look at the 670?

Also, I tried this tool uploading my 2650 settings and converted to a 670 and it said it work. I see where they matrix says it is not supported though.

https://migratetool.global.sonicwall.com/

Could it be that although the tool said it works, it really does not or is it that the support matrix is assuming not using the migration tool and instead directly importing the settings.

thanks,

Mike

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I would reccommend against importing configurations between different series, Ive always had issues even if both were from the same series and shown compatible in the matrix!

You also have to consider the jump to OS7 and what features you will use. OS7 is not yet mature (but i would hope be at least to 7.0.1 release by July). From experience enabling AppFlow reporting on a TZ570 on 7.0.0.906 cut WAN throughput by 10% and support said that is to be expected until the software matures...

While I like OS7 and specs wise the TZ570 should be more than capable I went from a NSA2600 to a TZ570 last month and had plenty of "fun" with it.

My point is do some reasearch on 7 first, then make your decision.

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @RINCONMIKE,

I would recommend you to stick with Support Matrix rather than migration tool. The migration tool is primarily used to convert settings from other vendor devices to SonicWall.

The support matrix provided info is as per the testing and verification done by us.

If you are looking for a TZ which is equivalent to what you have currently i.e., NSa 2650, I would suggest TZ 570. If you are looking for a much more powerful one, please opt for TZ 670. Please go through the datasheets once before you decide.

Gen 6.5 Datasheet:

Gen 7 Datasheet:

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services