Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How does a Firewall with NSM Recover if Internet Connection is Lost?

If a firewall is misconfigured (as in your NSM video) and it loses internet connection, will the NSM interfere with the local login? We changed a TZ470W from DHCP to a Static IP and the connection didn't work, so I had to drive to my customer's office to login directly using a local IP and Admin login. I thought I was doing something wrong, because it took almost 30 minutes on several occasions just to log in.

Category: Network Security Manager

Answers

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @ALANEZ,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Are you using NSM on-prem or NSM on Cloud? If the NSM and firewall are communicating via Internet then the settings change performed on the NSM for the firewall wouldn't work if the firewall doesn't have Internet access.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

While NSM is appealing at first, it is still very immature. Don't use zero-touch + NSM just yet.

I've had instances where firewalls would reboot themselves just by browsing around their configuration in NSM. I received hotfix from support, but that only worked on one device.

I've had instances where a setting change in NSM wouldn't reflect on the local device and vice versa. Support couldn't tell me which would be the 'gold image' settings, they didn't know.

To answer your question, if a NSM managed firewall loses internet the last applied configuration will stay on the device. It would not affect your ability to login locally to the device if you have properly setup local management access.

• lostbackupslostbackups Newbie ✭

This seems unacceptable to me that Sonicwall would release an application so unstable. Are they not thoroughly testing their stuff or are they just hoping to use customers as a test bed?

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

This seems unacceptable to me that Sonicwall would release an application so unstable. Are they not thoroughly testing their stuff or are they just hoping to use customers as a test bed?

Agreed. Yes and Yes.