Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ370 Lockups

I have installed 2 TZ370's and 2 TZ270's and different customer locations. So far both of the TZ370's have locked up and had to be power cycled before getting them online again. One of the TZ270's has done this once that I know of. I have updated both of the TZ370's to the latest firmware. Today one of them locked up again. With everyone working remotely these days there isn't always someone at the office to power cycle the device.

Has anyone else experienced lockups with these devices? I talked to support and was told they are unaware of any such issues.

Thanks,

Dan

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Following...

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Two TZ570's we reportedly troublesome today, but I didn't deal with the issue directly. They were eventually rebooted by manual power cycle. Both are fully licensed with various security services enabled. Other 570's without security services didn't exhibit this behaviour.

Also of note, the two that did are locally managed, the others that didn't are cloud managed.

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @NTI,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Are these TZ's a new deployment or settings copied from a SonicWall to these? Since when the issue persists? Did the support team not analyze the logs to locate the reason for the lockup? Please share the support case number in which you got assistance from our support team.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

On average it has been about 2 weeks between lockups. These are new deployments. The configurations were manually entered and not copied from another Sonicwall. These devices are locally managed. I had sent log files from one of the devices to support . They reported they cannot find anything that would cause the device to lockup. The case number is43630159.

i tried to collect logs using the console port but was unable to. I was using a Cisco console cable but was unable to get it to connect. I was sent a cable from Sonicwall which I will try next time.

Hi @NTI,

Thanks for the case number.

I see the TSR on the support case and it looks good with no violations. Next time, along with TSR I would recommend you to collect the tracelogs and system logs from the appliance and attach those to the support case for better dig on the issue.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

I had another lock up today on a TZ370. I'll be attaching logs to the case.

I was not able to get logs using a console connection because the customer did not want to wait until I got there to gather the logs. They needed to be back up and operational ASAP.

Hi @NTI,

Sorry to hear that the issue happened once again.

I would say we have to get the logs to identify the root cause and drive towards a permanent solution.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• NTI, have you been able to solved the lockup issue? How?

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

Yes, the issue was resolved with a firmware update. I was given a hotfix firmware version from support initially. Since then I have been able to install firmware updates without any problems.

The problem turned out to be that the memory on the TZ370 was getting exhausted. The tech I worked with was able to get a log file by going into the diag console. I got the feeling that he knew what he was looking for even though he never said anything.

• NTI, since then, have you experienced lockups or has it been very stable?

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

other than the interface being extremely slow i would say it had been stable.

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

I may have spoken too soon. We have the TZ370 configured in a HA setup. Yesterday the secondary became the active device. When I flipped it back to the primary being the active device within a few minutes it would fail back to the secondary. All that was in the log files was a lost heartbeat message. Once I power cycled the primary everything was back to normal.

I found out this happened about a month and a half ago while I was on vacation. I upgraded the firmware to the latest I could find.

• ALB_inPTALB_inPT Newbie ✭

I've got a TZ 270 and it has been up for about 2 months. It locked up yesterday. It was still passing traffic but I could not get into the console. Needed to reboot. Running the latest firmware from 2 months ago. I know, there is a new update, but I haven't scheduled it yet. Seems to me like a memory leak, but I can't pull logs from the. unit when it was frozen. Couldn't log in. Sound familiar? I'll post this as a separate item, but was looking for other who had the same issue. Hope this isn't a trend...

• NTINTI Newbie ✭

That's pretty much the same symptom I had originally. Except mine wasn't passing traffic. There are more logs available if you go into the diags site. I believe the tech found a memory exhaustion entry in the trace log on my device. You may want to try looking there. Maybe someone from Sonicwall can chime in to help you find the right log to look at.

• Piotr81Piotr81 Newbie ✭

I have same problem with TZ370. I was on site in Friday and spent from 5pm to 1am with support on site. They've get all logs, restart firewall to default setting and device was working up to 1h. After that I told with support is fine and when I woke up in the morning problem appear again and I need to go on site. I told maybe I had issue with Switch VLAN configuration so I change switch and even separate VLAN to different port but after 2h Sonicwall lookup again. I need to install my old Mikrotik again and take firewall with me. Im using the latest firmware on Sonicwall.

This is my first device after my 5 years break with those devices and I'm really disappointing because I remember them and they never get that problems before that was reason back to the roots.

My case is Case# 43815258.

I bought a TZ270 back in the summer. Have had a number of freezes, all happening about 20 to 30 days apart. Support asked for logs, however, the logs clear everytime I reboot it to get out of the freeze up. Secondly, when frozen it is impossible to access the management interfaces. So WTF.

I have loaded the latest firmware and kept it up to date, and every time I reboot it appeared to be running fine. No special settings other than the usual NAT configuration. I have about 4 machines and 6 YesLink phones going through a hub that plugs into the270. One or two of the machines go through a small hub that connects to the YesLinks. The Yeslinks are then plugged into the wall. Obviously, those devices are limited to 10 MBps. I have a wifi linksys device that plugs in at 1GB to the 270. Ping tests all are fine when it is running normally. 20ms or so.

When the unit freezes up I get a call that the phones are acting odd, and the network is "slow". I have come in during that and the phones sound full of static and it is virtually impossible to reach the internet. again, there was no way to log into the 270 when this was happening. A reboot cleared everything for another couple of weeks. Sure sounds like a memory leak to me.

It locked up again the other day, and I went out and bought another router and replaced the 270. I want to ship it back to the factory and see if they can find anything wrong. I am not putting it back online until I can get some answers. I believe there is something defecting in the software, though in monitoring it during the last month there was no memory leaks that I could detect from any of the logs. At this point, I am not recommending this product until I get some answers.

I have a TZ250 that I learned recently reboots weekly and was told of this KB article https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/obtaining-diagnostic-logs-when-firewall-is-freezing/181109052342334/

@ALB_inPT if you still have your device and need to get to the logs, walk through this while the unit is working. It is supposed to allow access to the CLI when the GUI does not respond.

Thanks Larry, I will try, but am very spooked about putting this unit back in production as the users are not happy with the downtime to date and I am not going to be physically anywhere near the offices for the next 30 days. I will try it in my lab.

Oddly, I created a support ticket for this and after 24 hours of waiting for a tech to be assigned it now shows "Pending Closure" I have no idea why, there is no input from Sonicwall and I have not asked for the ticket to be closed. This is very poor customer support by them. Why can't they get a tech to at least ask one question in over 24 hours? My very poor ISP can at least get a tech with an answer on the phone within 20 minutes of me sitting on hold.

This is my first Sonicwall device, and at this point, I'm waiting for a reason to buy another one for a different client who needs a firewall.

@ALB_inPT if it is truly not been activated - you can see that directly in the Request History - you can "force" the change in status by simply clicking Add Comment to the case directly in MySonicWall.