Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Cannot label ports description in either cloud or local. "Error Unkown Property 'Port Description'

PT123PT123 Newbie ✭

I updated the firmware of the switches to 1.0.0.3-12s. The Controller is a NSA2700 running latest firmware too. SonicOS 7.0.0-R963

I've also tried both management from local GUI and from the NSM,

both give the same result.

It seems like there's a formatting error or this table in the database doesn't exist when trying to set the parameters for the port description. ( Something very handy for sys admins to have in order to keep track of large complex network)

"port_description": "laptop",

"switch": "2Cxxxxxxxxxx"

}

]

}

}

Trying to replace current switches with cloud solution that actually works and now I have my self wondering why I bought this equipment considering I need to label these ports in order to keep track of stuff......

Category: Switches

Answers

• @PT123 ,

I truly apologize for this experience. I could not find any such reported issue, but it would be best to reach out to Support to have this reported.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• PT123PT123 Newbie ✭

I have a situation where I just bought a new 2700 and 2 brand new switches to keep everything on the advertised "one pane of glass"..

I sure hope they can provide some kind of hot-fix for me because otherwise its all going back in a box. This is unacceptable QA testing for enterprise grade equipment..

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Unfortunately you likely won't see much coming from support. Their switches are missing a ton of simple things (like port descriptions) when managed locally, and even more when managed from a firewall.

Maybe a few months from now things will be better...

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@PT123 - At this point, I am firmly convinced that SonicWall's SPOG is a desired goal, not a fully-functional reality. @TKWITS is being kind (perhaps overly so) when he terms development improvements in "months" instead of "years."

• PT123PT123 Newbie ✭

This reply is extremely disheartening. I decided to try this stuff out on whim. Meraki really smokes this interface and I thought I was getting something equivalent. How can you possibly release a switching product and advertise it as ready for critical operations and you can't even label a port...

I find this just completely insane.

For the cost, it should be fixed in 24-48 hours... Ubiquiti over there like..... You rang?

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I'm not sure why you brought up Ubiquiti, they have documented issues for years that have gone unresolved in both their switch and wireless products. And they seem to have gotten worse over the years when it comes to releases and fixes...

I hope youre 'trying it out on a whim' in a test environment, and not in production.

• PT123PT123 Newbie ✭

It's a test environment. I am mentioning them because of the cost comparison, Of course everything is based on you get what you pay for, and the price point justifies the lack of bug fixes with them. When you're offering premium-subscription based managed systems on top of raised hardware costs it becomes an issue. It's really hard to justify spending money on a product that isn't mature. So honestly I feel it shouldn't even be released to market yet.

All these issues can be tested in a lab before it's publicly available. I certainly would consider that an ethics issue. Again reflecting the cost. Is it ethical to charge for a premium product that's still in beta mode and give your buyers the burden of being the Guinea pigs?

I get it we're in tech field and everything changes rapidly, but there are certain levels of "expectations" with a premium vendor.