Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Authentification reset

When following these steps to reset my Username and password on my sonicwall firewall, does it factory default the entire firewall or just factory rese the username and password?

1. Connect a monitor and a keyboard directly to the appliance.
  2. Reboot the appliance and repeatedly press the TAB button while the appliance is booting up.
  3. Four options will be presented.
  4. Select SonicWALL Authentication Reset and press Enter.
  5. This will run through the rest of the grub boot loader and reboot the appliance.
  6.  Log into the web interface using the default credentials; user name: admin, password: password

Category: Firewall Security Services

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Those steps are for Email Security appliances, not for hardware firewalls. Unfortunately you have to factory default a hardware firewall if you cannot restore to a known good backup or misplace the admin password. It's possible the steps you outlined are for software firewalls, but I cannot confirm.

Either way from the knowledgebase description it doesn't sound like this procedure will factory default the settings, just get you to where you can recreate the credentials.

• SaravananSaravanan Moderator

Hi @JBROWN9720,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Factory defaulting a firewall will reset the complete firewall including the login credentials. We can import any previously taken settings back into the firewall. Please refer below web-link for more information on this particular scenario.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services