Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SMA 100/1000: RDP Bookmarks no german umlauts in Firefox

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

a customer with a SMA 6200 (12.4) called me today and reported that the RDP bookmark (HTML5) isn't working properly if connected via Firefox browser. The german umlauts (öäüÖÄÜ) do not get recognized and it looks like a mix-up of german and us keyboard layout. Everything is fine with Chrome, but the customer wants to stick with Firefox.

I remembered the same situation on SMA 500v and tested it on my appliance, and same goes for 10.2.0.3 on a SMA 500v connecting to RDP HTML5 Bookmark using Firefox.

Is there a solution to solve this and get the keyboard working as expected?

Latest Firefox version, doesn't matter if Client is running macOS or Windows 10.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Answers

• Please submit a JIRA ticket thro' tech-support and take this forward to ENG investigation.

Per 12.4 admin guide, this is supported:

"About HTML5 and RDP, VNC, SSH, and Telnet

HTML5 clients can connect to backend systems using RDP, VNC, SSH, and Telnet. HTML5 clients can use Single

Sign-On (SSO), copy and paste, multiple language keyboard support, scroll back, and dynamic window resizing.

Users also have wider connectivity, such as cross-browser, cross-OS support.

HTML5 clients eliminate the management of the endpoint clients, such as Java and ActiveX.

the HTML5 features table shows the HTML5 features for RDP, SSH and Telnet, and VNC."

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @AgasthiamaniS

yes it should (in theory) but it doesn't. I'am opening a ticket right away, this is how it looks like on a SMA 100 series, but it's the same on 1000 series. Laurent (my go to guy for Aventail) told me that HTML5 RDP on 1000 is a port from the 100 series, which explains the same behavior.

--Michael@BWC

edited December 2020

Hi all,

that's the current status, if anyone else is facing this:

On discussion with the escalation engineer regarding this issue, there has been two Engineering 
    bugs opened already for German Umlauts and Spanish Umlauts support on Firefox browser for 
    HTML5 RDP bookmarks ( SMA-1192 and SMA-1299 ). 

Aa per Engineering , the workaround to use Chrome/Edge was offered and Support for German and Spanish 
    Umlauts was referred to be Feature Enhancement Request (RFE). We cannot guarantee on the ETA for an RFE 
    if we put in one now.

Not sure if I have to open a RFE for known bugs, awaiting answer on that, because it left me confused. 🤯

Update:
    The bugs were acknowledged and closed with Workaround Solution and reported customers 
    switched to workaround solution and there has been no RFE put in yet. 

--Michael@BWC

And SMA-2129 was opened if anyone runs into this.

--Michael@BWC

• SimonSimon Moderator

Hi @BWC ,

Engineering recommending an RFE on a Jira ticket that might otherwise look like a bug is that, the issue is seen as not a failure of the product so much as in this case a failure to accommodate how Firefox did this differently than the standard. We work correctly in the other browsers, not Firefox. Firefox75 mapped the German keyboard differently than the other browsers causing this issue.

Note, the Jira tickets you mention above are SMA 100 series tickets. SMA 1000 tickets are named like SMA1000-NNNN.

Under SMA1000-2398, we resolved this issue in the SMA 1000 product line in the July hotfixes (12.1.0-06645, 12.3.0-03689, and 12.4.0-02559).

I have added a note to SMA-2129 to ensure the SMA-100 engineers are aware of how the issue was resolved in SMA-1000.

Hi @Simon

thanks, this is good news, when it's already fixed for SMA 1000, then I'am hopeful it'll happen someday on SMA 100.

We uninstalled the hotfixes on 12.4 (SMA 1000) because it broke Radius Challenge and the customer is not in the mood to give it another try with the October hotfix which addresses this issue.

Stay safe.

--Michael@BWC

Hi all,

I've got word from Support that this will be addressed in 10.2.0.4 for the 100-series, no ETA at the moment.

--Michael@BWC

Hi all,

short update, today Support reported that it'll be addressed in an upcoming 10.2.0.6 release which is currently in testing. The vulnerability thingy postponed this a little I guess and 10.2.0.4 got skipped.

--Michael@BWC

• SimonSimon Moderator

Hi @BWC this is resolved in 10.2.0.6-32sv under SMA-2129.

Hi @Simon

yeah I saw that, only a single key seems to be wrongly assigned at the moment, maybe this can be adressed as well.

--Michael@BWC