Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Sonicwall and Wireless setup

I have been working thru a number of techs trying to get wireless setup on our Sonicwall. We need the user to be able to connect wirelessly and access the network server. One question that has come up - in order to make wireless work on the network, does DNS have to be done on the Sonicwall? Right now, the Sonicwall hands out the DHCP but not DNS - that is done on the server. The server is Windows 2016 and has about 25 workstations attached to it

Category: SonicPoint
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Your server should be handing out DHCP, with it as the specified DNS server.

Answers

• lemansgtlemansgt Newbie ✭

I guess when I talked to the Sonicwall techs, they said the Sonicwall should be doing that so was thinking that was the issue why I cannot access the network server via a wireless connection - is there any documentation that explains how to do this?

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

We have an AirTame wireless device that needs to communicate with the LAN network for authentication.

I have created a Firewall Access rule that permits this conversation to take place. Note that I only enable this rule when meetings in the Community Room are active; otherwise, this rule is disabled.

Hope that helps...

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@lemansgt

If you were in a serverless (or more accurately 'directory service'-less) situation, than the Sonicwall would be your main choice for DHCP. I do not know of any documentation that describes what you are looking for, since it is outside the scope of what Sonicwall does. There are too many variables with different wireless vendors and their specific implementation requirements. The best thing you can do it create your own procedures based on the equipment you use.

Keep in mind support will only consider their equipment and not the needs of your network, so that is why they would say that.