Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Set up Other Brand WIFI AP with TZ470. How to setup the port for Wifi with different Subnet?

Hi all,

I would like to set up a 2 Wifi with a different Brand of AP with my TZ 470 with a different subnet than my Main LAN subnet. Is that a documents or knowledge-based can teach me how to set that up? Please advise.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @MPNS,

Please use either LAN to DMZ. WLAN comes into picture when using Sonicpoints or SonicWaves.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @MPNS

I'am not aware of any KB-article which would teach you this in full detail, but this is how I'am doing it when implementing 3rd party WiFi.

Depending of the complexity needed (multiple SSIDs, VLANs, segmentation etc.) I assign a dedicated interface for Wireless even when not using the SonicWall APs. Bind the subnet on it that interface, and configure the DHCP scope for your clients. APs should have a static assignment though. If you're running multiple APs you need to have a switch with untagged VLANs on or reserve two ports from the TZ as a PortShield Group for that.

On the Firewall Access Rules side you're having your policy either from WLAN or to WLAN zone(s).

Hope this gives you an impression how to tackle this, it's not that complicated once you wrapped your head around it.

--Michael@BWC

• Hi @MPNS,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Unfortunately, there is no KB article for your scenario. All that you have to do is to, configure one of the SonicWall interfaces in LAN or DMZ zone and connect the 3rd party AP's to that interface.

Login to the GUI of the 3rd party AP's and have the SSID and wireless stuffs configured. If required on the SonicWall, you can create virtual sub interfaces for more than one SSIDs configuration.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• MPNSMPNS Newbie ✭

Here's what I want to do. I want to have 2 brands of Wifi AP in my network. Existing LAN subnet is (10.1.X.X)

1. Unifi Wifi with 10.1.X.X
    2. Netgear brand Wifi with different subnet (192.168.2.X)

When I assigned the port for the above 2 subnets, should I use WLAN or LAN, DMZ zone?

Thank you so much.

• MPNSMPNS Newbie ✭

Here's what I want to do. I want to have 2 brands of Wifi AP in my network. Existing LAN subnet is (10.1.X.X)

1. Unifi Wifi with 10.1.X.X
    2. Netgear brand Wifi with different subnet (192.168.2.X)

When I assigned the port for the above 2 subnets, should I use WLAN or LAN, DMZ zone?

Thank you so much.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @MPNS

putting the im LAN/DMZ or whatever custom Zone is 100% fine, my thought putting them in the WLAN zone was to avoid any changes when the customer decides to go with the SonicWaves later on.

All I need to take care of is to disable "Only allow traffic generated by a SonicPoint/SonicWave" in the zone settings.

Never experienced any problems having non-SNWL WLAN equipment running in a Wireless zone.

Stay safe.

--Michael@BWC