Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

File Sharing Through Site-to-Site VPN

We have a site-to-site VPN set up to connect 2 offices. I can RDP across fine but if I try to access the shared folders of a computer on the other side I get an error that that IP can't be found.

I'm not sure which service ports I would need to open up for this to work. I have NetBIOS enabled on the site-to-site VPN.

All of the computers in question are Windows 10. One office has a TZ350 and the other has a TZ205.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• @RTinkess ,

When site to site VPN of active, all traffic is allowed across the tunnel. Are you able to access the shared drives using the IP address of the remote device?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• RTinkessRTinkess Newbie ✭
    No I cannot access the shared drives between offices.

Here’s the setup.

Office 1 IP range 192.168.3.X
    Office 2 IP range 192.168.4.X

I can RDP from office 1 to office 2.
    I can RDP from office 2 to office 1.
    I can access the shared drives of each office from within the office (i.e. I can access the shared drive of 192.168.3.8 from 192.168.3.75)

But I cannot access the shared drive of 192.168.3.8 from any computer in office 2 (192.168.4.X)
  • SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Did you suppress creation of automatic access rules when creating the tunnel and created the RDP rules afterwards? SMB file sharing uses TCP port 445 so allow that if it's not.

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @RTinkess,

Adjust both end Firewall MTU size equal.

For example make it both end Firewall MTU size is 1400 & try.

• @RTinkess,

I would suggest performing a packet capture for the remote IP you are trying to connect to and check if there are any packet drops on the firewall. If yes, what is the reason for the drop?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services