Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Auto provisioning APs

My predecessor says the APs just need to be plugged in and they're provisioned by the sonicwall. We're replacing all of ours with new Sonicwaves we just received. However looking at our sonicwall, none of the provisioning boxes are checked for any of the 3 wireless zones we have listed. Could these older sonicpoints have been manually configured originally?

Category: High End Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @DJHURT1,

To answer both the questions, the answer is Yes.

Regarding the second one, I would suggest you to auto-provision SonicWaves for base setup. Once the auto-provisioning is done, disable the auto-provisioning and customize the AP's as needed.

Please try this and this would work as you like.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• Hi @DJHURT1,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

Yes, the older Sonicpoints can be still configured and used in standalone mode. The new SonicWaves can be auto-provisioned via SonicWall firewalls when they are connected to each other.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited January 2021

Would you say it's safe to assume that these older APs were manually configured in our case since none of the "auto provisioning" boxes are checked for any of the wireless zones under SystemSetup-->Network-->Zones?

A second question as well is if we do enable auto provisioning on the new Sonicwaves, can I go edit each individual objects details afterwards? For example use the auto provisioning to get a base setup for new APs, but then customize them a bit further afterwards? I ask because according to the guide, it states: "Note that changes to profiles do not affect units that have already been provisioned and are in an operational state." But in another area in the guide, it states: "When the checkbox for a provisioning profile is checked and that profile is changed, all access points linked to that profile are reprovisioned and rebooted to the new operational state." Am I reading this right as it appears contradictory? It would be great if I can use the auto provisioning to get a base setup for new APs, then customize things such as it's name after provisioning but I wonder if it will auto provision again later?