Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

802.1x setup

We have two virtual access points each on seperate VLANs. Since this is a production sonicwall, I'd like to setup a third AP with a new hidden SSID with 802.1x(PEAP) to replace one of the virtual APs. Once we've moved the users to the new virtual AP/SSID, I want to remove the old one. Is this a realistic thing to do with the Sonicwall? This is an NSA5600 with latest firmware.

Also, per an article I read from Sonicwall to setup 802.1x, it states to simply select WPA2-EAP for authentication type. Is this accurate for using PEAP between client(supplicant) and RADIUS(NSP) server?

Category: High End Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    SaravananSaravanan Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @DJHURT1,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

It is appropriate to use WPA2 EAP for 802.1x authentication. You can add a new VAP and replace it later to the existing APs. This should also work.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Answers

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @djhurt1,

Was your issue resolved?

If so please select the correct answer to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolved your issue using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.