Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Remote desktop lag over VPN (NetExtender)

Hello,

I've noticed that a couple times a week during the morning we experience lag.

We VPN in and then use Remote desktop. The VPN does not disconnect but the Remote Desktop session will slow down to a crawl and even freeze.

The firewall CPU usage is fine and the egress/ingress is fine to.

Doesn't seem that the firewall is being over used.

Any clues on on trying to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,

Jayser

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• AlbertoAlberto Enthusiast ✭✭
    Can you give us your firmware version ?
  • JayserJayser Newbie ✭

we are running  6.5.2.1-31n

I am planning on upgrading to the current one this weekend.

• BGMRobBGMRob Newbie ✭

This sounds similar to an issue that we were experiencing. The NetExtender would stay connected but the RDP session would freeze. Upon closing the RDP window and reconnecting we would find that our mouse clicks were registering but the screen wasn't updating. I Googled and found the solution below. I made the changes on both the PCs we were RDPing into and the laptops we were RDPing from. It fixed the issue for us twice.

Run gpedit.msc. 

Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administration Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Connection Client. 

Set the "Turn Off UDP On Client" setting to Enabled

• JayserJayser Newbie ✭

We tried the UDP solution for a few computers. It helped with some of the freezing for some. But this seems a bit different, like it's a slow down of RDP traffic. Everyone that is in the office doesn't feel it at all. Speed test are fine.

I forgot to mention that when we do have this issue, even if I use logmein, that is slow too.

• JayserJayser Newbie ✭

Thank you. I'll look into that.

The weird thing is it's only happening between 8:30-Noon. After that it's fine. And it's only a handful of users.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Jayser ,

Checking in - has this question been answered?

Thank you

• JFLandryJFLandry Newbie ✭

Did you get a response regarding this problem? We have exactly the same problem. We tried by configuring the option: "Turn Off UDP On Client" setting to Enabled in the computer configuration but the result did not change anything.

• JFLandryJFLandry Newbie ✭

Previously we had a router limited to about thirty users. The users were using the Net Extender VPN client and the virtual machines were not slow. Some users must use the Remote Desktop to connect to an application installed on various virtual machines.

As many users now have to work remotely, a new router has been added. The old one has been decommissioned. This new router allows more VPN connection. The new client being Connect Tunnel X64. Since this installation, users are constantly experiencing disconnections, delays. What they didn't have before with the NetExtender client.

Note, when users are not in VPN, the remote desktop is not slow. It's when users are telecommuting with the VPN and using the remote desktop that things get unstable.