Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ400 and SonicWave 231

I have the firewall and AP working with the business side of the LAN - wired network and business wifi both work fine. However the guest network connection will not get a connection.

I'm using a layer 2 switch (about 12 users on a flat network).

Any ideas? The config and profiles look legit. Its just the guest that doesn't work. The business wifi connects fine. The guest is setup for on a different vlan.

Thanks.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    Answer ✓

@ACETech,

All managed L2 switches have VLAN capability. Only if it is an unmanaged switch, you might not be able to set up VLANs.

Basically, the ports on which the AP and the firewall are connected should be made trunk and hence tagged for the VLAN ID you are using for Guest SSID and untagged for native VLAN 1. (That is basically what trunk mode will eventually do in the background)

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

Answers

• It sounds like the switch is not setup properly with the trunks on the ports connected to the AP and FW. The other possibility would be missing access rules/DHCP scopes/DNS servers inaccessible etc..

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ACETech ,

Can you make sure the L2 Switch port (where you connected the sonicwave) added the Guest VLAN ID/Tag which you configured for the Guest VLAN in firewall.

• ACETechACETech Newbie ✭

The L2 switch doesn't have VLAN capability (I can easily supply a L3 switch). For the dozen users I didn't foresee the need for a VLAN.

So do I need a L3 switch, create the VLAN with maybe 3 ports, trunk and tag the ports with the same VLAN ID (10) that the guest was created for? And the AP and FW are both plugged into these ports which should route to the default VLAN 01.

Thanks for the help. Didn't think this through (but i've been up to my neck in alligators).

Darryl