Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Importing config from NSa2600 to NSa2700

Hi there,

I'm considering replacing our NSa2600 OS 6.5.4 to NSa2700 and TZ400 to TZ470W. Question: Can I simply import the configuration file from old FW to new FW or do I have to start from scratch.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @DiagoFernandes,

Welcome to SonicWall community.

The following KB usually lists the supported imports from one sonicwall model to another.

I think NSa 2700 and TZ 470W are not part of this list and they are extremely new. But, most probably they are supported as an import from TZ 500 to TZ 570W is currently supported. I will get in touch with the concerned team to check if we can update the details on this KB.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @DiagoFernandes ,

Please try to use SonicWall migration Tool.

NB: TZ 470 not listed in the migration tool

https://migratetool.global.sonicwall.com/

• Hi, have you done the import from 2600 to 2700? I need to do the same, I tried and it give me a warning, I don't find if something has not been imported. I need to check every menu...

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I just attended a presentation of the Gen 7 migration best practices. The key takeaway: You have a HUGE advantage of configuring your new Gen 7 device when you use the Migration Tool. You stand to lose functionality if you simply import.

Accordingly, the proper steps for migration:

1. Export current configuration from Source firewall
    2. Access the Migration Tool
    3. Upload the exported Source firewall file
    4. Select the Target firewall
    5. Map the Interfaces from Source to Target (If you don't do this, everything ends on X0 - you have no internet access and the rules are messed up...)
    6. Select the firmware Version (currently 7.0.1) and Export the configuration file for Target
    7. Login to MySonicWall
    8. Register the Firewall
    9. Download the new firmware (currently 7.0.1)
    10. Power up the new device
    11. Login using default IP address
    12. Register the firewall from the firewall
    13. Upgrade the firmware
    14. Import the new Config file
    15. Check DNS settings (manually configure if necessary)
    16. Reboot firewall
    17. Login and check everything

Sure hope that makes it to a KB article with some more detail and possibly screen extracts...

Along with SonicWall's insistance that the "old way" of simply importing - that we've done for generations - is not "best practice" when it comes to Gen 7.

• KaranMKaranM Administrator

Hi @Larry ,

Thank you for sharing the steps for the settings migration process. I will review the existing KB: (https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-to-create-gen-7-settings-file-by-using-the-online-migration-tool/210115150800277/) and act accordingly.

Regards

Karan

Knowledge Management Senior Analyst at SonicWall.