Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SSL VPN Throughput

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on the ideal settings to obtain the maximum throughput with an SSL VPN Client connection.

We have a TZ300 device fully patched I believe.

We are unable to use the Global VPN Client because the users are predominantly MAC users. They are using the Mobile Connect Client. On my Windows PC I am using the NetExtender Client.

When transferring files to a shared file location behind the firewall the throughput just makes it over 1Mbps. I was hoping to see this significantly higher - I have read reports of 8 or 9Mbps are achievable but sure about this.

Can someone run me through any settings I can apply to help increase the throughput.

Category: VPN Client

Answers

• Hi @MERCURYIT,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall Community.

The SSLVPN or GVC throughput normally depends on the bandwidth at SonicWall installed location and VPN client location respectively. IMO, you should be able to get between 1/3 and 1/2 of the lowest bandwidth on either side.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• HumphBHumphB Newbie ✭
    edited December 2020

I have the same problem...

we have a 100/100 Mbps bandwidth over fibre, but a connect from mac users at home over SSL VPN is 1 or 2 Mbps. That is lousy.

Websites behind the firewall (NSA4600 with latest firmware) are very slow and file transfer e.g. over smb too .

• Hi @HUMPHB,

Please open up a support case with out support team to work real-time on this issue.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

• MercuryITMercuryIT Newbie ✭
    edited December 2020

Thanks Saravanan, the main end user is moving house in the next week but I have been testing from my home.

I will pursue this in the next day.

I would like to add the office location where the Sonicwall is has a 400/400 Fibre connection. My internet is a 50/20 NBN connection. Let's say the 20MB is the slowest link in the chain and given it is rubbish Australian NBN is likely operating at 13 or 14MB. 1/3 of 13 or 14 is still 4 or 5MB. I'm not seeing anywhere near that.

Cheers

• Hi @MERCURYIT,

Thanks for getting the calculation done. I agree with you. We may need to troubleshoot on this in real-time. Please get access to SonicWall appliance and one of the SSLVPN clients, contact our support team for further assistance.

Have a good one!!!

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services