Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

CLI command delay error

SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I'm trying out the command 'import cli terminal merge' but I can't seem be able to paste more than one access rule at once until it gives the error "No matching command found".

Looks like after the last commit the next access rule command loses the first part and sees the command starting in the middle. I could remove the commits but I'm not sure if several thousand lines of access rules without commits is wise either.

Is there a workaround? This is on SonicOS 7.

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Answers

• I believe you must insert CR LFs followed by a commit command for each line. I will have to test this, so it might take a few days since I'm in the middle of a project.

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I quickly tried to import all the access rules I had with a single commit only at the end and it seemed to succeed. So perhaps commit after every access rule is overly cautious.

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭

HI @SonicAdmin80,

If you are copying and pasting I have found that it only likes around 25 lines at a time,

if you want to import more do it via the FTP method with a text file or Notepad++ text file (UTF-8),

I do this with CA certificates but you can use this with any list of commands, just make sure to include the conf command at the beginning and the commit at the end and make sure to take out extra empty lines and make sure the exit commands are in the right place.

import cli ftp ftp://172.16.32.60/cacerts/cacert.txt merge best-effort

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Hi @preston. I was using 'import cli terminal merge' and it mostly works ok and seems safer than just pasting directly to the conf prompt. I think I have the configuration cleaned up to a point where it works ok in a few batches. I'm trying to avoid setting up a FTP server, although I might have an app for that installed on my laptop.