Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

After upgrading the Gen 5 Firmware, Firewall Login console showing DELL Sonicwall Logo

AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

After upgrade the Gen 5 Firewall Firmware 5.9.2.7-5o (SOHO Units), Sonicwall Login console changed to Dell Sonicwall.

Before upgrading the Firmware:

After the Firmware upgrade (5.9.2.7-5o):

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Micah @shiprasahu93

Please see all our Gen 5 units are showing DELL Sonicwall after the firmware upgrade.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Ajishlal

it may not affect all units, I still have a NSA 3500 floating around and it constantly shows the SonicWall logo.

Just in case, did you cleared the browser cache and tried another browser?

Maybe the development team pulled back some resources from the repository to address the issues found <just kidding>.

--Michael@BWC

Hi @BWC

Its affected only Gen 5 units not GEN 6. Gen 6 units I tested and its working fine

That's why I mentioned NSA 3500, a silverish Gen5 box :)

--Michael@BWC

Hi @BWC ,

Even I tried from different location PC (through Team Viewer) I am getting same Dell Logo.

See the below screen shot from the Private browser. we do have more than 150 SOHO unit and all are showing the same after the Firmware upgrade (5.9.2.7-5o).

NB: We don't have any NSA GEN 5 unit for testing.

Hi @Ajishlal

I'll check tomorrow when I'am back at the office, I guess I have an old SOHO sitting around somewhere.

What firmware was installed before? Was it DELL branded or already with the SNWL logos? If it was DELL branded, maybe the firmware upgrade did not came with the new image files, just a wild guess.

--Michael@BWC

• MO_TMSMO_TMS Newbie ✭

Hi Guys,

I just updated a TZ-215w from 5.9.13 to 5.9.2.7 and got the exact same thing. Thought I might be the only one until I came across this thread.

Before:

After:

Everything else seems perfectly fine. Really weird.

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

Confusing ... 5.9.2.7 and 5.2.9.13 released the same day?

Doc update revision stamps are around the other way?

• @HALON5 - Yes, both these versions 5.9.2.7 and 5.9.2.13 got released on the same day for various requirements. Requirements can be obtained from the release notes of these documents respectively.

@MO_TMS - Please have this reported to our Support team to get it addressed at the earliest.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Hi @Saravanan ,

The only requirement I want or need is to get the latest firmware with cumulative fixes.

Are you saying something "else" is going on?

Is .13 not the latest?

• Hi @HALON5,

Nope, there is nothing going around with 5.9.2.13 version. Ultimately, this is the latest firmware for all Gen 5 devices. If you can share the numbers (Bug ID) of the cumulative fixes that you are looking for on this firmware version, I can possibly help out to confirm.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

@Saravanan ,

Would you kindly point out the specific difference between the two? What do you mean by "requirements".

Why have two releases been made on the same day for the same units?

Thanks, Stephan.

• @HALON5 - Please read the release notes of the respective firmware versions for differences and their characteristics.

What I meant by requirements was, lets say you got suggested to upgrade the firmware on your SonicWall to a specific version as a fix for a specific issue then that's a requirement scenario. The scenarios may vary and what I told you is an example.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hi @Saravanan ,

I have read the release notes. From a customer point of view it is confusing. 5.9.2.13 "Appears" to be the latest since the level is higher.

Why wouldn't you just apply 5.9.2.13 since it expected that any fixes in it also contain those in 5.9.2.7

Please give me an example of why you would apply 5.9.2.7 over .13 ? Because you don't want to fix something? Is .13 broken?

It's just weird.

• Hi @HALON5,

Please find answers to your questions below.

I have read the release notes. From a customer point of view it is confusing. 5.9.2.13 "Appears" to be the latest since the level is higher.

Answer: Agreed. I will inform the document team to make it much more reader friendly.

Why wouldn't you just apply 5.9.2.13 since it expected that any fixes in it also contain those in 5.9.2.7

Answer: Not necessarily any latest firmware version can fix problems reported on the predecessor firmware. An example is, 5.9.2.7 firmware version may contain fixes for the issues reported on the previous versions. The firmware 5.9.2.13 version simultaneously releases containing new features that are originated only from this version. Hence the necessity to check with either our Support team or reading release notes would help clarify and choose the right firmware version based on the issue/requirement for the SonicWall appliance. In this similar situations, we always try to accommodate all the fixes on the latest version but this can change and there are exceptions.

Please give me an example of why you would apply 5.9.2.7 over .13 ? Because you don't want to fix something? Is .13 broken?

Answer: The example given to your above question applies here as well.

First question in the below KB article talks about the different firmware flavors/releases available.

Well, your feedback is always helpful to groom our product and its associated resources to a greater extent. We are always grateful to our customers on this part. Thanks for your feedback on the documentation release notes part.

Please let us know if any questions or clarifications.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hi @Saravanan,

Could you please let me know that, why its showing DELL Logo after the firmware upgrade instead showing the SonicWALL logo?

Hi @Ajishlal

I digged on my graveyard and updated a SOHO from 5.9.1.3 to 5.9.2.13, it became SonicWall branded. Then I downgraded to 5.9.2.7 and it became DELL branded.

As @Halon5 mentioned, it's very confusing from a customer point of view having multiple releases, there should be just a single latest firmware. It's ok if you have multiple branches 5.9.1 and 5.9.2, but the forth digit should show just be an indicator what the latest is in that specific branch, IMHO.

--Michael@BWC

• Hi @AJISHLAL,

According to me it looks like a code issue and definitely not something with the firewall configuration. An appropriate way in getting this addressed is to raise a support case with our support team.

HTH.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hi @Saravanan

Our existing Gen5 units are running on 5.9.1.13-5o, Until now we are not faced any issue and its stable. But as per the sonicwall recommendation for fixing the vulnerability we would have to upgrade the firmware so kindly let me know which Firmware should need to use out of the below list; As per the list both firmware will cover the vulnerability.

NB: Upgraded around 25 units with firmware version 5.9.2.7 and noticed that DELL Logo after the upgrade so stopped the remaining unit Firmware upgrade.

Hi @Ajishlal

the Releases Note of 5.9.2.13 mentioned it's an update for 5.9.1.13 and the 5.9.2.7 mentioned the same for 5.9.1.7.

It's weird, but you probably should go with 5.9.2.13 which seems to be the direct successor of 5.9.1.13.

--Michael@BWC

Hi @BWC

Yeah its really weird. Even in the Mysonicwall download portal showing the latest is 5.9.27 under the maintenance release.

I think this is the first time SonicWALL released 2 maintenance release on same day and its confusing the customer and there is no proper guidelines.

• Hi @AJISHLAL,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I know how much frustrating it would be. I would feel the same way if I were at your place. This is totally code based issue on the firmware. Please approach our support team to report the issue to our back-end team and find a fix.

Regards

Saravanan V

Professional Services

Hey @Saravanan ,

Some things to consider.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolL4CkWJ1w

Thanks @BWC , @Ajishlal

• arjanarjan Newbie ✭

We have a bunch of Sonicwalls running 5.9.1.10. I noticed the 5.9.2.7 and 5.9.2.13 release.

After reading this thread, I am still confused.

Hi @arjan

you should be good to go with the 5.9.2.13.

--Michael@BWC

Hi @arjan

I replaced 5.9.2.7 with the 5.9.2.13 release and until now no issue. You can go ahead with 5.9.2.13 release.

• Even after 5.9.2.13 upgrade, dell logo didn't disapear.

• msmfarhanmsmfarhan Newbie ✭
    edited November 2020

Hi Preston, this worked for login page. But still Dell logo shows up after logging in

Thanks