Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Layer 2 network to data centre from Sonicwall

Raymond1Raymond1 Newbie ✭
Hi guys, I have a problem and need advice please. I currently have a LAN network on port X0 on the TZ400 SonicWall. The IP range is 192.168.1.0/255.255.254.0 On the LAN side I have two servers. One primary and one secondary. The primary replicate VM's to the Secondary. In the event of a primary server crash, I can boot up the VM's on the secondary server. We have done many tests and this just works fine. We now have a flat layer 2 networks available to a data center and we need to move the secondary server to the datacentre. The service provider stated that I am allowed to use any IP range on the Layer 2 network. Now my question. I am looking at the layer 2 network and thinking that I can just plug it into one of my network switches on the LAN side and I extend my LAN network to the datacentre, but then it will have no IP address or routing. If I plug the layer 2 network into my Sonicwall's X4 interface and give X4 and IP address in the same range as the X0 Subnet. Will the SonicWall allow the same subnets on two different X ports. If not how do I now allow traffic from 192.168.1.0/255.255.254.0 through X4 from the LAN on X0? I need the later 2 networks to the data center to be on the same subnet as the network on X0. So basically using the Layer 2 network as an extension of the LAN network. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Answers

• Raymond1Raymond1 Newbie ✭

Apologies "later 2 networks" = "Layer 2 network" auto correct acting up :-)

• Hi @Raymond1,

Thank you for visiting SonicWall.

To get same network on X0 and X4 interfaces of SonicWall, please use portshield option. In this case, we have to portshield X4 interface with X0 interface.

To configure a PortShield interface, perform the following steps:

Step 1: Click on the Network > Interfaces page.
    Step 2: Click the Configure button for the interface you want to configure. The Edit Interface window displays.
    Step 3: In the Zone pulldown menu, select on a zone type option to which you want to map the interface.
    Step 4: In the IP Assignment pulldown menu, select PortShield Switch Mode .
    Step 5: In the PortShield to pulldown menu, select the interface you want to map this port to. Only ports that match the zone you have selected are displayed.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• Raymond1Raymond1 Newbie ✭
    Thank you, I see that there is an option that I can use. (Bridge mode to Layer 2 networks) and map it to X0. Now X4 is bridged to X0. And I see that X4 when in bridge mode, gets the same IP as X0. I just need to test to see if my NAT and Access rules on X0 still work after removing port shield from X4 and changing X4 to bridge mode. Offhand it now seems as if I can have my LAN subnet extended over to the X4 interface.
  • Hi @Raymond1,

Native Bridge mode will also be applicable for your requirement. Please try out and let us know.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services