Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Appliance hang & conf lost

SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

I have a TZ500 that hangs every 2-3 months or so and requires a hard reboot. After the reboot it has usually lost all configuration and settings need to be imported back. Afterwards it again works fine before it eventually happens again.

The unit was already once replaced by support but the problem transferred to the new unit. It's currently running 6.5.3.4 but I have to update it soon to fix the recent vulnerability.

Has anyone seen this? Somehow either the settings must be corrupted, the firmware version is buggy or someone is crashing the unit through SSL-VPN portal perhaps using the recently revealed vulnerability.

This has been quite an annoyance. The unit will be upgraded soon to a TZ670 but I'm afraid the problem might transfer again unless I do all configuration manually from scratch. The TZ500 will be reset and repurposed so hopefully it stops there for that unit.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @SonicAdmin80,

There were some reported issues earlier where the DHCP settings and VPN configurations were lost. But, both of them are fixed on the latest release.

Please have a settings backup done and upgrade to 6.5.4.7-83n. After that check if you are running into this issue again.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Thanks, I will do that. Any opinion if there's a risk for the problem to transfer to a TZ670 running SonicOS 7?

For me the issue isn't just DHCP and VPN settings, everything is lost like a factory reset. I need to import settings, set the admin password and import SSL certificates and then it's as it was.

• @SonicAdmin80,

If this is taking place due to settings corruption, there is a chance that this problem will occur after settings import on TZ 670.

So, if you could confirm after upgrading, that would provide more clarity.

I couldn't find any reported issues where the device goes to factory default settings after a restart.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

Ok. The TZ670 will be in use before I have time to observe if the update fixes the issue, so I guess I'll just see with TZ670 if the problem transfers over or not. I could do the configuration again through CLI but I suspect SonicOS 7 has changed syntax so a simple copy-paste probably won't work.

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SonicAdmin80,

Additionally enable the cloud backup features.

Yes I have, makes restoring the config much easier when it happens.

That's great info. I actually didn't replace the power supply so that could explain it. I'll make sure to replace it when I repurpose the appliance as I have the new one delivered with the replacement unit.

I might do the CLI configuration on the TZ670 as well, but I suspect some manual modification might be required if the syntax has changed in the new OS.