Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Firmware upgrade

Hi,

We have 2 NSA3650 and one NSA 2650 that must have a firmware upgrade for al becaus of DoS & XSS Vulnerabilities.

I have 2 question that I hope you can help me with:

1. The NSA 3650 is in a HA Active/Passive mode and has the firmware: 6.5.4.5-53n, should we install the firmware first on the Active node and then on the Passive mode?
  2. Can we direclty go to that last update?

Thanks

Category: Firewall Management and Analytics

Best Answer

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @mrshahin

you can shoot straight to the latest firmware in that case, just upload the firmware on the active unit it will automatically transferred to the standby unit.

There was a report on possible problems with a 3650 HA setup, maybe you should have an extra eye on that.

As always, export your settings first and get sure you have the currently installed firmware image on hand, just in case things went south.

--Michael@BWC

• Hi @

PFB answers to your questions.

The NSA 3650 is in a HA Active/Passive mode and has the firmware: 6.5.4.5-53n, should we install the firmware first on the Active node and then on the Passive mode?

Answer: You can start the firmware upload on the active unit, this activity will simultaneously uploads the firmware on the standby unit as well. Once when the upload is complete on both the SonicWalls and when you boot the active firewall with the new firmware, the standby unit will go through the firmware upgrade process first and then followed by the active unit ensuring a minimal network interruption. Below KB article talks about the firmware upgrade on HA pair.

Can we directly go to that last update?

Answer: Yes, you may. With Enhanced SonicOS firmware versions out, SonicWall appliances can be upgraded from any lower version to higher version.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

• mrshahinmrshahin Newbie ✭

@Saravanan Thanks for your reply,

The installing the firmware on the HA mode is now clear for me thanks.

Regarding installing the latest version on the NSA220, you mean if the current firmware says SonicOS Enhanced 5.9.1.8-10o we can directly upgrade this firmware to the latest version 5.9.2.7-5o, am I right?

@Saravanan Hi, do you have any update on my last question regarding the firmware upgrade?

@Saravanan Thank you for your reply,

When I go to the mysonicwall site and check for the available updates see that the last update version is 5.9.2.7-5o

Also see this update 5.9.2.13-7o. both are from oct 7 2020

Should we install 5.9.2.7-5o or 5.9.2.13-7o ?

Thanks

@BWC thanks for your update,

Can we also directly upgrade from 5.9.1.8-10o to 5.9.2.13, correct?

correct