Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ400 pinging strict.bing.com

I have a TZ400 and it is sending about 500 requests to strict.bing.com a day. The requests are not coming from a different device in the DHCP server.

Anyone have an idea why the sonicwall is sending requests to strict.bing.com?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @tweeprise ,

do you have "Enable Bing Force Safe Search" enabled in your CFS Profile (Advanced Tab) ... this is probably it.

--Michael@BWC

• I believe, in past testing where I capture all DNS queries done by the firewall, that it does queries for this hostname even if the feature is not enabled. I am doing another capture and my lab firewall does not have that feature on, and I even disabled CFS itself to see what happens. More news at 11 (figuratively).

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Manage -> Log Settings -> Name Resolution could be something else to look into, I always prefer to have the Name Resolution Method set to None.

--Michael@BWC

• do you have "Enable Bing Force Safe Search" enabled in your CFS Profile (Advanced Tab) ... this is probably it.

Not enabled

Manage -> Log Settings -> Name Resolution could be something else to look into, I always prefer to have the Name Resolution Method set to None.

Trying this now.

• FYI - Log Name Resolution feature does one job:: Reverse lookups of any IP address which shows in the logs using either DNS or NetBIOS. It is not related to the strict.bing.com traffic.

• So i guess it is what it is. Thanks for the answer