Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How To Filter Wifi Traffic Through Soho 250

I have a Sonicwall Soho 250 (Non-Wifi) Appliance. Is there a way I can pass my Wifi traffic from my wireless cable modem through my non-wifi Soho 250 for content filtering, etc.?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @marct191,

If you are using that wireless modem for your WAN connection, it might be difficult to do this as we treat that as WAN traffic.

But for any wireless router or access point connected to the firewall on an internal zone like LAN, WLAN etc, we can perform content filtering and other security checks.

For us to scan the traffic, it should pass through the firewall to reach the internet. If the wireless is present on the modem itself, that traffic might not reach us before going to the internet making it impossible for us to scan and enforce security.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@marct191 ....to get more security an other idea is to use CaptureClient on the devices connected to this (public) WLAN.

In the new 3.1.1 you have Content Filtering as well and Cloudmanagement everywhere your clients go.

-Thomas

• marct191marct191 Newbie ✭

@shiprasahu93 Would a solution be to shutdown my cable modem Wifi then add Sonicwall WIFI adapter to the Soho 250 to filter Wifi traffic?

• @marct191,

Basically the wireless devices need to be present on an internal zone for us to scan the traffic. So, I would suggest to use an access point (SonicWAVEs or any other 3rd party APs) connected to the SonicWall on WLAN or LAN zones respectively. After that if the wireless devices connect to it, we can enforce content filtering and other security services irrespective of the type of device like phones, tabs, PCs etc.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• marct191marct191 Newbie ✭

Which Sonicwall Access Point would you recommend to be paired with the Sonicwall SOHO 250 appliance?

Are there any instructions on the physical setup and firewall setup?

• Hi @marct191,

Depends on your Infrastructure, but when you use a 250 the Sonicwave 200 Series might be right for you. Be advised that the 250 supports up to 4 APs

Regarding the Setup you might find that link helpful: https://www.sonicwall.com/techdocs/pdf/sonicwave-deployment-guide.pdf