Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWALL Switch question

ChristianChristian Newbie ✭

Hello-

If we are going to add a switch to the X0 interface with a dedicated uplink, does it matter if we have the interfaces pre configured with our VLANs or do they need to be in their native state? ie no VLAN's configured.

Category: Switches

Answers

• Hello @Christian,

Welcome to SonicWall Community.

To use the VLANs on the switch, they need to be added on the firewall first. But, it should work in both cases where you have the VLANs pre-configured or just the physical interface configured.

If you are having issues with any of the scenarios, please let us know.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• ChristianChristian Newbie ✭

Hello Shipra-

I am.

I have a TZ400 and a 14-24 switch. I want to connect it using X0 for management and X2 for the data uplink. The switch was given a static IP manually through the switch GUI.

The switch has the same subnet as X0.

Cables are attached to X0 and X2 and ports 9 and 13.

When trying to add the switch to the FW an error appears: "Error: Extended Switch cannot be configured due to presence of VLAN sub-interfaces in the reserved VLAN range."

Additionally, the switch is assinged an IP which is different than the one that was set through the switch GUI.

BTW X0 has the following VLAN's

X0:V50

X0:V60 

X0:V70

• @Christian,

You can try the following:

1) Use auto-discovery to add the switch, as given in the KB below

2) Please make sure that the firmware on the switch is 1.0.0.1-4s before adding it.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Same error:

Status:Error: Extended Switch cannot be configured due to presence of VLAN sub-interfaces in the reserved VLAN range.

Tried attaching it to X2, no VLAN's with a subnet of 10.5.5.1/24. Switch using firmware 1.0.0.1-4s

X0 and X4 have VLAN's but they are on different subnets.

Any idea what the error means?

• Hello @Christian,

Could you please navigate to MANAGE | Firewall Settings | Advanced Settings and make sure that the Internal VLAN: Starting VLAN is at defaults 2 and not set to a number that is close to either 50, 60 or 70.

FYI: Making any changes to this field will ask for the restart.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Hello Shipra,

My internal VLAN's do start at 2.

However I just learned that at that setting VLAN's 2-33 are reserved by the SonicWALL. X4 had VLAN's 20 and 30 so that is where the conflict was. If there are any VLAN's configured on the FW that fall between 2 and 33, the switch will not provision.

Perhaps this should be documented in your KB.

• Thanks for your feedback @Christian. I will have that updated in the KB.

Shipra Sahu

• @Christian,

I have added a Note after Step 5 in the KB below to address this issue.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing!

Shipra Sahu