Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Old Sonicpoint Ni

MitchMitch Newbie ✭

Hi there,

This is possibly a daft question. The office is upgrading the wireless network and has some unwanted Sonicpoint Ni units.

Can these be used on a domestic network? That is, do they need a Sonicwall device to manage them or can they be setup on a standard home wireless router? If they can I'd like to use one to cover a dead spot at home.

Thanks.

Category: SonicPoint

Answers

• Hello @Mitch,

Welcome to SonicWall community.

SonicWall does not support the wireless access points in standalone mode, but they can certainly function without a firewall.

Here are some links that can help you set it up.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• MitchMitch Newbie ✭

Hi Shipra,

Thanks for the quick response. You'll need to excuse my ignorance here, but...

Does this mean I can setup the AP on my home network to extend the wireless signal?

If I connect to the AP (192.168.1.20) all I get is a static webpage without any of the controls I see in the images at the link you posted.

• @Mitch,

No worries, I am here to help and can answer any doubts you have.

So, basically when I say SonicWall does not support standalone mode, it means that SonicWall support might not assist you if you run into any problems. But, that does not mean it is not possible to use it in standalone.

Yes, you can configure a PC with static IP to match the subnet 192.168.1.x and connect to the LAN port of the SonicPoint. Once you reset the SonicPoint, you will be able to access it on 192.168.1.20 address and manually configure it to broadcast the SSID you would like.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• MitchMitch Newbie ✭

Thanks again for your help. Most appreciated.

However, the web page at 192.168.1.20 is static and so won't allow me to change any settings.

It looks like the one at the bottom of this page

Am I doing something wrong? Most likely!

• @Mitch,

Just click on the 'Boot current firmware' button so that it boots up. It should come back after a minute or so and then you should be able to configure it.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• MitchMitch Newbie ✭

I shall give that a go. Have to be a bit later tho.

Thanks again for your help.

• MitchMitch Newbie ✭
    edited July 2020

OK, I've tried booting the firmware. After that the unit settles down to just the power light.

I try the address 192.168.1.20 but I get no response. The port shows lan activity but none of the lights on top do anything (other than the power light)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Update. I did a network scan and I think I've found the unit. All I need now is to figure out the default credentials to log in to it!

• @Mitch,

The default username/password should be admin/password respectively.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

• MitchMitch Newbie ✭
    edited July 2020

Thanks Shipra,

Mr Google managed to answer the question too.

Looks like I've got it up and running now so fingers crossed it fills the void once I get it up in the roof.

Thanks again for your help with this.

M

• Perfect! Glad I could help!

Shipra Sahu