Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Connecting Netgear WAC730 AP to the Sonicwall TZ400

I recently decided to purchase the WAC730 APs. I want to place one on each floor of my home. I have the TZ working well, but am unsure as to how to connect the WAC720s to the TZ400. Any suggestions?

BTW. I am going to ensure that the APs and the Firewall TZ400 have the latest firmware updates.

Thank you in advance.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @JaunLukePicard,

Welcome to SonicWall community.

There are a lot of factors to be considered.

1. When you say that you want each AP to be connected on each floor, do you want them to broadcast the same SSID or different SSIDs?
    2. Does the wireless network need to be on the same subnet as the firewall or you want it on its own dedicated network?
    3. How is the physical connectivity going to be achieved between the AP and the TZ 400?

Once we know about these, it will be easier to suggest the necessary changes on the firewall.

Also, I am moving this to 'Entry level firewalls' category for better results.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• I would imagine that connecting the WAN ports of the APs to the X0 and other internal interfaces of the TZ-400 would work fine. I suspect that the WANs of the APs can do DHCP client process just like any PC. You can use the PortShield features on TZ-500 to make the X2, X3, and X4 interfaces, for example, be part of the same logical network as the X0 LAN. Then you would simple cable from those four interfaces of the TZ-400 to the APs.

• A moderator posed two questions and below are my answers:

When you say that you want each AP to be connected on each floor, do you want them to broadcast the same SSID or different SSIDs? (I would say the SAME SSID with regards to connection speed, ex: AC, N, B, etc.)

Does the wireless network need to be on the same subnet as the firewall or you want it on its own dedicated network? (For computers, tablets and phones it would be just one subnet. I have separate subnets for Cameras and security devices other then the Firewall.)

How is the physical connectivity going to be achieved between the AP and the TZ 400? (I am using a NETGEAR 8 Port switch with 4 POEs where each AP is connected to receive both Data and Power. I have the NETGEAR switch connected to the Firewall)