Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Segfaults since Firmware 10.0.3 (up to 10.0.6)

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hello fellow ESA admins,

because I'am in the middle of an endless support case again, could you please check your logs:system (message) for the following messages on systems running Firmware 10.0.3 and up.

Since 10.0.3 I'am having tons of these messages on ALL deployments, systems still running 10.0.2 are fine.

A segmentation fault isn't a good thing in general and I don't know what the impact will be in that specific case. The support is handling this like an isolated incident, but even I can report that this occurs on totally different deployments, so others should have this as well. It happens on fresh installed 10.0.5 after a few minuts/hours, no matter if it's a virtual or hardware appliance.

Feb 24 14:35:13 systemname mlfdcsub[25744]: segfault at 1b ip 00007fed65c043e0 sp 00007fff34d59008 error 4 in 20addrbk.so[7fed65b31000+2c0000]

Feb 24 14:35:13 systemname Code: fe ff ff 85 c0 74 09 c1 f8 1f 83 e0 02 83 e8 01 48 83 c4 08 c3 0f 1f 44 00 00 48 89 77 20 c3 90 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 <48> 8b 47 10 c3 90 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 48 8b 05 f1 69 3f

Hopefully if I can report it isn't just me and my customers, the speed of the support team will accelerate a little.

Feedback highly appreciated and best regards.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Email Security Appliances

Comments

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

Yes, Confirmed 10.0.5

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Hi @Halon5,

thanks for checking ... good to not being alone :)

--Michael@BWC

Always good to have some friends to share with.

• KaranMKaranM Administrator
    edited February 2020

Hello @BWC ,

Thanks for reporting this, I noticed that you have opened a case with our support team and they are currently working on this issue, the support team is in the process of replicating this and gather data if in case this needs to be escalated to the Engineering team. I appreciate your cooperation on this.

Thank You

Knowledge Management Senior Analyst at SonicWall.

edited February 2020

@KaranM Can I have the DTS please?

Hi @Halon5,
    I hope you are doing good!
    This is still in process. The data is being reviewed by a senior engineer and post the review based on the analysis they might reach out to the Engineering team for help.

Thank You

@BWC , @KaranM This problem is covered in ES-4020 and should be addressed in 10.1 I understand.

Hi @Halon5 ,

thanks for the update, I just got the information on March 2nd that a bug got filed and the engineering team is on it. Hope it will get covered soon, because it causes some irritation for the endusers having lots of segfaults floating around on their VMware consoles.

--Michael@BWC

edited March 2020

@BWC Just upgraded to 10.0.6. which seems stable and fixes many of the woes we have had for many years around Allow/Block Address Books not working with filter rules among others.

Have you got GB recommendations (I take it you already do?).

edited March 2020

Hi @Halon5,

ja 10.0.6 is looking good so far, no further trouble and hopefully some fixed DKIM flaws are gone, except the beloved segfaults of course :)

But you lost me on GB recommendations, what is this about?

--Michael@BWC

@BWC . Have you ever logged a call for ES and not had him on the call?

He has a list of recommendations for filter rules and so on that may augment your own.

edited March 2020

Hi @Halon5,

well over the years I was in touch with a couple of guys, I can't recall, maybe because of the fact that 99% of my cases will be handled from India.

It sounds that I should get in touch with him.

--Michael@BWC

Hi @Halon5 and @BWC ,

This was reported to the Engineering team with DTS: ES-4337, as per the update from Engineering team, the reported issue will have a fix in 10.1 version of the firmware.

Thank You

@BWC , Yep I really rate GB. And that's saying something. He's a great guy and everything you would expect from a great tech. SW are very lucky to have him IMHO. A cut above the rest.

• GailandGailand SonicWall Employee

@BWC Unless you are running a software setup, you will need to open a ticket. There is a dcsub folder that needs to be cleared out.

After it is cleared, you will need to go into Manage / Server / Updates, and untick the Submit unjunk Thumpbrints box.

Once both of these have been done, the errors should stop. In any ticket you open, have your tech ask me for my documents and I will attach them to the case for you. I do include a lot of information in an apparently random format, but most of it is quite useful.

Hi @Gailand,

thanks for the information, we closed the case #43271949 for now in an anticipation of a release of firmware 10.1 in the near future, which hopefully fixes this error.

--Michael@BWC

Hi @Gailand ,

I'am somewhat optimistic that it is fixed in 10.0.7? Since installing the latest release I cannot see any segfaults, but we are only 8 hours in, keep my fingers crossed.

--Michael@BWC

Hi,

while walking down on memory lane I'am rethinking my old reports.

This issue seems to be fixed with 10.0.9 upwards, that was quick 🙄

--Michael@BWC