Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

The connection has timed out

Good morning everyone,

I have a question that might sound simple for most IT Professionals but I'm very new to IT and am looking for some help. I work for a small start-up and we recently purchased a SonicWall TZ350. This morning we went through the initial setup guide, created SonicWall accounts and registered the device. After configuring it we then took it to our second location to place it on the network for good. But now we're unable to log into it. Every time we try using the https://192.168.168.168 we get a message stating the connection has timed out and we never get to the login screen. We're kind of perplexed as to what we're doing wrong. I've started PING and half of the requests time out. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be and/or how to get around it?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Hello @Reality,

I would like to know how are you testing this? Have you connected a single device to X0 interface and then trying or just from the LAN network?

Who is the DHCP server on the network? Is it the SonicWall or some Microsoft server?

If possible, please connect a computer directly to X0 and then test. It is possible that somehow 192.168.168.168 is also assigned to a different device causing these errors.

After we test by connecting directly, we can further drill down what could be the issue. Also, have you tried managing it over WAN or using SSH to access the CLI?

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• NevyadithaNevyaditha Moderator

@Reality ,

I hope you are doing good.

Can you please let us know what browser you have used? Can you try to login from a different browser?

What is the Firmware you have on the appliance?

You mentioned the ping to the Sonicwall devices are being dropped? The Workstation connected to the Firewall port is configured with a static IP or a dynamic IP address?

Nevyaditha P

• RealityReality Newbie ✭

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!!

We're going to try to answer your questions as best as we can:

I would like to know how are you testing this? Have you connected a single device to X0 interface and then trying or just from the LAN network?

-------We have a single Dell laptop connected to the XO interface, have a solid green indicator light

Who is the DHCP server on the network? Is it the SonicWall or some Microsoft server?

-------We have a Comcast Business router that is our DHCP

After we test by connecting directly, we can further drill down what could be the issue. Also, have you tried managing it over WAN or using SSH to access the CLI?

-------How would we manage it over the WAN? We literally just went through the initial setup and then unplugged it to bring it to another office location.

Can you please let us know what browser you have used? Can you try to login from a different browser?

-------We've tried using both Firefox and Chrome. Both browsers give us the

What is the Firmware you have on the appliance?

------- 6.5.4.4-44n

You mentioned the ping to the Sonicwall devices are being dropped? The Workstation connected to the Firewall port is configured with a static IP or a dynamic IP address?

-------The laptop has a dynamic IP

Thank you both very much for your help!! :D

• Hello @Reality,

If this issue is occurring when a laptop is directly connected to the X0, it could be either the port or the connectivity. Since the link light is looking okay, I would suggest going to safe mode, upgrading the firmware to 6.5.4.6 from safe mode and booting with current settings.

If you have taken a settings backup, you can boot with factory default settings and re-import the settings file (.EXP)

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Hi @Reality,

Can you try once to reboot the firewall appliance and then follow the steps as provided by @shiprasahu93 .

Also, please refer the Link below on how to restore the settings back to the sonicwall appliance if you have taken a backup file earlier

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks!

Nevyaditha P

• RealityReality Newbie ✭

Ok, so it's looking like my blue network cable somehow went bad or got damaged. As soon as I swapped the cable with another one my problem was immediately resolved! I don't get it, but we're not going to argue with it either! lol

Thanks, ladies!!

@Reality ,

I am glad your issue is resolved 😀

Stay Safe !!

Thanks

Nevyaditha P

• shiprasahu93shiprasahu93 Moderator
    edited June 2020

@Reality,

😁 As long as everything is up and running!! Have a good one!

Shipra Sahu